These Hot Dogs and Soda Pop Hot Cocoa Shots are just the thing to celebrate Father’s Day (or dad’s birthday) or any holiday you can think of! Creamy hot chocolate with marshmallows in a really fun package–YUM!
What is a Hot Chocolate Shot?
Hot chocolate shots (also known as hot cocoa shots) are a fun, simple, elegant, tasty treat. You begin with a silicon mold and some melted chocolate and create a shot glass–from chocolate. Fill that shot glass with goodies, like hot cocoa mix and marshmallows. You can also add some adult beverage, if you want (that will be our little secret).
How to Use Hot Cocoa Shots
Well, this is the easy part–and the fun part. You’ll need a large mug, and an additional microwave-safe mug filled with milk, then follow these instructions:
- Take the empty mug, and put your hot cocoa shot in it.
- Microwave the other mug with the milk in it for about 60 to 90 minutes. You want it hot.
- Carefully pour the hot milk into the mug with the cocoa shot. The hot cocoa shot should “explode”, and the marshmallows should burst to the top.
- Give it a good stir, and enjoy!
Can You Just Eat Hot Chocolate Shots?
If you want to just eat the hot cocoa shots, that’s okay too. The chocolate is extremely delicious, and you can dress it up any way you like! Since the hot cocoa mix isn’t great when eaten dry, you can just leave that out of the hot cocoa shots you plan to eat. You can add more marshmallows, your favorite candies, or berries to take up the space in the chocolate shot glass. If you’re going to eat it right away, add a tiny scoop of ice cream!
How to Make Hot Cocoa Shots
Hot cocoa shots are super easy to make, so I’m going to give you the basic ingredients and directions. If you want to just jump to the Hot Dogs and Soda Pop Hot Cocoa Shot recipe, just scroll down to the bottom of this post!
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”6zd6PPYl” upload-date=”2021-11-13T18:19:59.000Z” name=”Cookies and Cream Hot Cocoa Bombs” description=”Easy and fast cookies and cream hot cocoa bomb recipe. Made with white candy melts, black candy melts, white hot cocoa powder, mini marshmallows, and Hershey’s cookies and cream candy bar, these hot chocolate bombs take 15 minutes to make.” player-type=”default” override-embed=”default”]
Ingredients to Make Hot Cocoa Shots
Three ingredients are all you need to make your basic hot cocoa shots:
- Chocolate Candy Melts (whatever flavor you prefer)
- Hot Cocoa Powder (use your imagination to choose a flavor–my favorites are cinnamon and mint)
- Marshmallows (if you use mini marshmallows you can stuff the hot chocolate shot with marshmallows, but only one jumbo marshmallow will fit in there).
That’s it–the whole deal. The only other thing you’ll need is a mold (and some bowls and spoons, of course). My preference is a silicone mold, because they make for shiny, pretty hot cocoa shots every time! Silicone molds are easier to remove the chocolate from, too.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Shots (Step-by-Step Basic Hot Cocoa Shot Instructions)
Once you have made these hot cocoa shots, you’ll understand what I mean when I say they are SUPER easy to make. Your first time may take a little longer, but you should be able to make a set of 3 hot cocoa shots in approximately 15 or 20 minutes after you’ve done it once or twice. They really do go together quickly, even with putting the decorations on top.
Here’s how to put your hot cocoa shots together:
- Put your chocolate candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl and pop them into the microwave. Microwave them for 30 seconds and stir. Continue to microwave for 30 second intervals until the chocolate melts completely. It should be smooth and shiny.
- Fill the silicone mold with the melted chocolate.
- Put the mold with the chocolate in it in the freezer. Let it stay in there for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn the mold upside down, and peel it away from the chocolate. If you work quickly, you shouldn’t leave any fingerprints. However, if you do see fingerprints, you can wear gloves for the next one.
- Fill each of your chocolate shot glasses with about 1 tablespoon of hot cocoa mix, and add as many marshmallows as it will hold.
- Add drizzle and/or decorations as you like. For the recipe in this post, here’s a link to some alternative decorations: gummy hot dogs and soda pop candies.
You can store your hot cocoa shots at room temperature, in an airtight container. If you want to put them in the fridge, it will probably make your chocolate cloudy.
What Chocolate is Best for Making Hot Chocolate Shots?
I’ve used more than one type of chocolate, but my favorite is candy melts. Candy melts come in an almost endless variety of colors and flavors. And it’s essentially an unfailing way to get the perfect chocolate shot glass.
Don’t get me wrong, if you want to try a different chocolate, there are lots of choices. Just keep in mind that candy melts make this recipe a lot easier, because the candy melts are made for using in molds.
Do I have to Temper My Chocolate?
Tempering chocolate is a process. If you use candy melts, you won’t have to worry about about that, because they have already been through the tempering process. If you want to use a different kind of chocolate, you probably will need to temper it. If you don’t temper it, your chocolate shot glasses may be brittle, and not so easy to work with.
Vegan Hot Cocoa Shots
If you’d like to make vegan hot cocoa shots, that’s easy, too. Vegan candy melts are available, and that’s what I recommend you use. Here are links to the vegan chocolate ingredients that I prefer for making hot cocoa shots:
If you use other brands of vegan chocolate, you may need to temper the chocolate. It’s not impossible to make other brands work, but it may take more time and effort.
How To Color Chocolate for Hot Cocoa Shots
If you want to color your chocolate, you will need to use good quality gel food coloring. Olive oil or other cooking oil is a necessity to have on hand, too. Chocolate can sometimes seize-up, meaning that it becomes dry and lumpy after you have heated it. The way to fix this is to add a small amount of oil. You only need about a tablespoon of oil added for each half cup of chocolate. That will get the chocolate to smooth out again. If you’d like me to show you how this method works, you can take a look at my Butterbeer Hot Cocoa Bombs. It might be helpful to you.
Can You Make Milk Chocolate Cocoa Shots?
Milk chocolate candy melts are available. If you’ve read other parts of this post, you already know that candy melts are what I prefer. However milk chocolate chips will work, too. If you go that route, you may have to temper the chocolate chips to get the desired result.
Can You Make White Chocolate Cocoa Shots?
White chocolate cocoa shots can be made with white candy melts (you know it’s what I prefer). That’s the fast and simple way to get white chocolate hot cocoa shots. If you decide to use some other type of white chocolate, you will probably have to temper it.
What Mold is Best for Making Hot Chocolate Shots?
I know they make molds for shot glasses that aren’t silicone, but I have only used the silicone ones. I think it would be difficult to remove the chocolate from a mold that isn’t flexible. That being said, my recommendation is to use a silicone mold.
Hot Dogs and Soda Pop Hot Cocoa Shots Recipe
Since this post is an excellent resource and gives you so much information about hot chocolate shots, you will absolutely want to come back to this recipe for Hot Dogs and Soda Pop Hot Cocoa Shots. Go ahead and take a second to pin it to your own holiday or dessert recipes board on Pinterest. That way, you will be able to quickly find it again!
Fast and fun to make this easy Cookies and Cream Hot Cocoa Bomb Recipe is a great treat!
- 1 cup Brown Candy Melts
- 1/4 cup Red Candy Melts
- 1/4 cup Yellow Candy Melts
- 3 Tbsp Hot Cocoa Mix
- 1 cup Mini Marshmallows
- 6 Soda Pop Gummies
- 6 Hot Dog Decorations
- In separate microwave-safe bowls, heat the brown, red, and yellow chocolate until completely melted and smooth.
- Fill the silicone mold with the brown chocolate.
- Place the mold into the freezer to set for 3-5 minutes.
- Put the melted red and yellow chocolate into separate plastic bags, and make a small hole in one corner of each bag and set aside.
- Once hardened, remove the mold from the freezer, then peel the mold away from the chocolate shot glasses.
- If the edges are not even, heat a plate in the microwave for 30-45 seconds until hot to the touch, then place the open edge of the shot glass onto the plate and rub it in a circle until the edge of the glass is smooth and even.
- Fill each of the chocolate shot glasses with 1 tbsp of hot cocoa mix and finish filling with mini marshmallows.
- Use the red and yellow chocolate to drizzle lines over the filled chocolate shot glass.
- Add hot dog and soda pop decorations.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 645Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 522mgCarbohydrates: 121gFiber: 1gSugar: 91gProtein: 7g