Blue Velvet Cupcakes are the best! Just look at how beautiful they are with the royal blue cupcake topped with a cream cheese icing rose. I can’t wait to exercise my tastebuds on these!
Cupcakes are always fun to make, and they are a great snack and dessert. They can be made in many flavors, colors, and in many ways. These little personal sized cakes are perfect for any party or gathering.
What is the Flavor of Blue Velvet?
These blue velvet cupcakes include cocoa to give them the flavor of a velvet cake, which can be any color you choose! Then they’re topped with cream cheese frosting–what a perfect combination.
Does Blue Velvet Taste Good?
A tray of these will surely not last. Really! When I made them and had just finished adding the toppings, I hadn’t even placed them on the table yet, and they’re already gone. Never underestimate the power of blue. LOL!
Blue velvet does taste good! If you follow the recipe in this post, the blue velvet will taste like red velvet–just colored differently. But, you can actually make the blue velvet cupcakes any flavor you like. Here are a few suggestions:
- Black Cherry
- White Chocolate
If you love blue, just take a look at these Snowflakes Macarons. Aren’t they cute?
How to make the Blue Velvet Cupcakes
Making these Blue Velvet Cupcakes is seriously easy. Even beginner bakers can easily whip up a batch of them. The ingredients are readily available in most groceries and supermarkets. You may have most of these ingredients in your kitchen, too.
Cream cheese frosting definitely completes the cupcake. I love this frosting, because it is delicious, simple to make, and so easy to pipe onto the cupcakes!
The recipe below makes about 4 cups or so of icing, which is enough to decorate 18 – 26 cupcakes.
Here are the Ingredients You Need to Make Blue Velvet Cupcakes
- Granulated Sugar
- Cocoa Powder (optional)
- Blue Gel Food Coloring (like Wilton)
- Violet Gel Food Coloring
- Buttermilk (You can make this by mixing 1 teaspoon of vinegar in a cup of milk and letting it sit for about 5 minutes.)
- Baking Soda
- Cream Cheese
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
How to Make the Blue Velvet Cupcakes
Here are the simplified instructions on how to mix up and assemble your blue velvet cupcakes. If you want to jump directly to the recipe, just scroll on down to the bottom of this post.
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Place cupcake paper liners in your cupcake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the sugar and room temperature butter, add the eggs (mix well after the addition of each egg)
- Mix the cocoa (if you don’t use the cocoa, add a dab of flour) and food coloring together, add to the sugar and butter mixture. This is also where you can add other flavors, if you want.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and salt, then gradually add to the sugar mixture–alternating with buttermilk.
- In a small bowl, combine the baking soda and vinegar, then add it to the cake batter. Mix to combine.
- Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds full with the batter.
- Bake for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the cupcakes on a wire rack and let them cool completely before icing.
For the Cream Cheese Icing
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, and mix well.
Why did My Blue Velvet Turn Green?
If you use whole eggs, the yellow color of the egg yolks will make the blue food coloring turn green. If you use a good quality food coloring gel, and add just a touch of violet to the mix, it should turn out truly blue.
Are Blue Velvet and Red Velvet Cake the Same?
Yes, blue velvet and red velvet cake are basically the same. The only difference is the color. A true velvet cake has a small amount of cocoa, that gives it the distinct flavor of the velvet cake.
Now, let’s start making your cupcakes!
Just remember to Pin this recipe into your Favorite Cupcakes Pinterest Board to make it easier for you to check back when making them again. Great to share, too.
Blue Velvet Cupcakes Recipe
Cupcakes are always fun to make, a great snack and dessert. They can be made in many colors, too. Just like these Blue Velvet Cupcakes.
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Butter, room temperature
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tbsp Wilton Royal Blue Gel Food Coloring
- 1 small dab of Violet Gel Food Coloring (I dipped in a toothpick and used that much)
- 2 ½ cups Flour
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 cup Buttermilk (for homemade buttermilk, add 1 teaspoon white vinegar to 1 cup of milk, let stand 5 minutes.)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract. (Clear would be best. JR Watkins makes it.)
- ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 package of Cream Cheese (8oz/226 grams)
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract, clear vanilla is best
- 4 – 4 ½ cups Powdered Sugar.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and place cupcake liners in the cupcake pans.
- Cream sugar and butter in a mixing bowl till light and fluffy, then add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg.
- In a small separate bowl, mix cocoa and food coloring together to make a paste — make sure they’re well blended. It will look black, but once you add this paste to the sugar mixture and mix well again, it’s a beautiful blue.
- Mix flour and salt and add to creamed mixture a bit at a time, alternating with buttermilk, then mix in vanilla.
- Combine baking soda and vinegar in a small bowl and add to cake batter; mix just to combine
- Scoop the batter into cupcake liners, filling about 2/3 full, and bake for probably 20-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat butter until creamy, add cream cheese until well blended. Scrape sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add vanilla
- Slowly add in powdered sugar.
Cream Cheese Frosting Makes about 4 cups or so, enough to decorate 18 – 26 cupcakes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 594Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 224mgCarbohydrates: 110gFiber: 0gSugar: 98gProtein: 3g
For more delicious cupcakes, check these out: