(Inside: Check out these soft & delicious Halloween skeleton cookies! They’re the perfect Halloween party treat or afternoon snack!)
It’s no secret that Halloween is basically my favorite thing around here.
It’s mostly because zombies are my one true love.
Sorry, husband, I just have a thing for the undead.
But, my love for Halloween goes beyond just zombies and onto all things spooky.
Ghosts, monsters, blood and guts, and yes, even skeletons.
See, there’s something inherently creepy about skeletons… But at the same time they can be totally adorable!
So I wanted to make a fun skeleton treat this Halloween (bonus: you can also make this when learning about bones for a fun snack!) and these delicious & soft Halloween skeleton cookies turned out perfect!
These skeleton cookies are seriously amazing. Like, you should make them immediately and enjoy them during Halloween.
My kids had SO much fun decorating their skeletons, and they had even more fun eating the yummy cookies!
I love that skeleton cookies are ridiculously easy to make and they turn out so stinkin’ adorable.
So to make the skeleton cookies we used my favorite gingerbread cookie recipe.
See, a bunch of gingerbread recipes leave the cookie hard and snappy, but I like soft cookies. They’re deeeeeelicious!
So with this recipe you get a nice soft cookie every single time!
Once you make your gingerbread cookies, all you have to do is use your icing to decorate your gingerbread men and turn them into skeletons!
I added a bit of sugar skull fun onto mine, because hello beautiful!
But you can make these as simply as you’d like. My kids just did basic white icing where the gingerbread man’s bones should be.
I will warn you, though, it’ll be just a bit harder to eat these cookies knowing that it’s a little skeleton friend you’re eating!
Okay, no it won’t. Because they’re flipping delicious. #sorrynotsorry gingerbread skeleton!
Delicious & Soft Halloween Skeleton Cookies
- 4 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground Allspice
- ¼ tsp ground Cloves
- ⅛ tsp ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground Ginger
- ½ cup granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Light Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Molasses
- 2 T Butter, softened
- ⅓ cup Applesauce
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 Egg, beaten
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- White icing
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease 2 cookie sheets.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine 3 cups of flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices–mix well and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter. Add the granulated and brown sugars and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix well. Add the molasses, applesauce, and vanilla extract–mix well.
- Incorporate the flour mixture and stir. The result should be a stiff (yet soft) dough. If the dough feels sticky, add more flour.
- Cover with plastic wrap placed on top of the dough and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Flour a cutting mat or wax paper and roll out the dough to ¼-inch thick.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut the dough into shapes.
- Place cookies on cookie sheets and bake 9 to 11 minutes (edges should be golden).
- Immediately remove cookies to wire rack to cool–after about 10 minutes, the cookies should stiff but still pliable and soft on the inside.
- Once the cookies have cooled, decorate them with your white icing to turn them into skeletons!
- Save one for me, because these are AMAZING!