Besides my addiction to strawberries (just look through the recipes I’ve posted–strawberries are definitely a theme), I also have a lesser-known obsession: blackberries. It all started when I was a kid and my parents would take me to a huge blackberry bramble about an hour from our house. They’d let me and my brother loose in the thickets with a bucket. And we’d come back, bellies and buckets full-to-bursting. That’s what inspired this Vegan & Gluten-Free Berry Cobbler. A perfect mixture of strawberry and blackberry…just enough to make you squeal in delight with each bite. Heh.
When I was a kid, those blackberries were ripe at just about the same time as strawberries and though I’ve never picked strawberries from the vine (a travesty I plan to rectify this summer with my kids), I think this might be true, but I really have no idea, honestly. So, here’s the easy (and quite wonderful) Vegan & Gluten-Free Berry Cobbler. Don’t judge if they don’t come ripe at the same time…that’s my mistake. Just buy some of whichever at the store instead of picking. Or buy them both. Whatever.
You can even buy the pie crust at the store, if you’re so inclined. I didn’t, but that’s me. Because I have this great recipe for gluten-free and vegan pie crust…but you’re not forced to do that. You can just buy one and dump-and-run. Your choice. LOL!
It’s also your choice of whether or not to put ice cream on top…wait, did I just–it’s not your choice. Add the ice cream. It’s required. No jokes. LOL! Just use your favorite handy-dandy vegan ice cream recipe and go on. Trust me on this.
Vegan & Gluten-Free Berry Cobbler
Vegan & Gluten-Free Berry Cobbler. A perfect mixture of strawberry and blackberry...just enough to make you squeal in delight with each bite. Heh.
- 1 cup rinsed and sliced strawberries
- 1 cup rinsed blackberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tspn cinnamon
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tblspn gluten-free flour blend, I use Bob's Redmill Baking Flour Blend
- 1 pie crust
- Preheat oven to 475-degrees.
- Prepare pie crust for filled pie (meaning don't bake the pie crust until you've put the fruit in it).
- Combine cinnamon, sugar, vanilla, salt, and flour blend in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Pour mixture over the blackberries and strawberries in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Stir lightly until berries are coated in the mixture.
- Dump into the pie crust and distribute evenly.
- Place in the oven and turn down the heat to 400 degrees.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown on the edges.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes or until you just can't stand it anymore.
- Place a big scoop of ice cream on top and serve!
I’d love to hear how your Vegan & Gluten-Free Berry Cobbler turns out. Be sure to come back after you’ve made this awesomely awesome with awesomesauce-covered cherries on top dessert and hit me up with a comment to let me know how it turned out!