To be honest with ya, I can’t even imagine eating one of these, now that I’ve equated them with ROACHES! In fact, just thinking about it is making my skin crawl. Okay, Okay! I put my big girl panties on and gave one a try, but I had to close my eyes! And my grandkids were right…they were so good. LOL! But, for the purposes of my skin…let’s just call them Crunchy Cheese-Stuffed Dates, ok? LOL!
My daughter has always loved dates. I always thought they were way too sweet. But these Crunchy Cheese-Stuffed Dates were something she shared with her grandpa that was special–and she finally convinced me to share them with my grandkids this last week. And, I guess I should tell her, that, when combined with the cheese and nuts…the dates aren’t too sweet at all.
Actually, no, I don’t have to tell her. That can be my little secret. Heh.
Regardless. These were pretty good and, like the Spider Eggs–I mean, Spider Deviled Eggs, they can be served pretty much anytime you want to pull a smile out of a kiddo. They’ll love ’em. Both because they taste good–and because they look so very very gross…after you mention Roaches. Heh.
But, because this is SUCH a gross recipe…just pin it for this coming Halloween. You know this will be the BEST appetizer you could ever bring to the office for your Halloween Party…or to your friend’s costume party. Seriously. Pin it. You’re going to wish you had if you don’t. LOL!
- 1 - 8 ounce package of Pitted Dates
- 1 - 8 ounce package of Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Maple Flavoring
- Cream room-temperature Cream cheese.
- Add Pecans and Maple Flavoring, mix well.
- Cut each Date lengthwise, down one side. Do NOT cut all the way through the Date. If you do cut all the way through, you'll just have to eat that one!
- Place about a teaspoon of the Cream Cheese mixture inside each date, arrange on a serving dish, and enjoy.
- Leftovers may be covered and kept in the refrigerator for a few days--if your little goulies don't eat them up!