This salmon cakes recipe is easy to make, delicious, and healthy. These salmon cakes can be served for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a snack. Making the mixture only takes about 15 minutes, and the cooking is only 2-3 minutes on each side. So this is an easy weekday meal.
What are Salmon Cakes Made of?
Salmon cakes are made of canned salmon, breadcrumbs (or homemade shredded bread), eggs (or egg replacer), and onion. You can also add nutritional yeast and/or Feta cheese and plant based butter to give it that creamy taste and texture.
What is the Difference Between Salmon Patties and Salmon Croquettes?
Salmon patties, salmon croquettes, and salmon cakes all refer to the same item. Some recipes call for flour, and others call for bread crumbs. A typical croquette mixture uses breadcrumbs and yields a dish that is lighter than patties or cakes. However, this particular recipe call for breadcrumbs.
What are the Ingredients for Salmon Cakes?
Here are the ingredients in our salmon cakes recipe.
- Butter, plant based
- Egg or Egg Replacer
- Feta Cheese
- Green Onion, chopped
- Nutritional Yeast
- Olive Oil
- Salmon, canned
How to Make the Salmon Cakes Recipe
- Open the can of salmon, and place the contents in a large bowl (do not drain).
- Break up the salmon, then add the breadcrumbs, egg (or egg replacer), onion, pepper, olive oil, and Feta cheese. Stir until well combined.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of the mixture and form a patty.
- Place the butter in a skillet to melt.
- Add the salmon cakes to the pan.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.
How do You Keep Salmon Patties from Falling Apart?
Eggs are the “glue” that holds Salmon Cakes (or patties or croquettes) together. The addition of breadcrumbs, panko, or crushed crackers also contributes to keeping the Salmon cakes from falling apart.
What do You Eat Salmon Cakes With?
There are any number of things to serve with your Salmon Cakes. Some of them are:
- Asparagus and Tomatoes
- Brussels Sprouts (roasted or sauteed)
- Carrots (roasted or boiled)
- Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- Dinner Rolls
- French Fries
- Fresh Garden Salad
- Garlic Toast
- Green Beans (sauteed or canned)
- Light & Fluffy Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes
- Okra (fried)
- Spinach (fresh, sauteed, or canned)
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Tater Tots
What is the White Stuff on Salmon Patties?
Albumin is the white stuff on salmon and salmon patties. It is a protein, and when it is raw, it is in liquid form. When the salmon is subjected to heat, it becomes a semi-solid. If you grill fresh salmon, you may also see the albumin on your fish.
Are Salmon Cakes Healthy?
Salmon cakes are full of vitamins B and D, protein, and Omega 3 fatty acids. All of these are good for you and yours.
Why are My Salmon Cakes Dry?
If you have added too many breadcrumbs or too much flour, your salmon cakes may be dry. You can add some mayo, lemon juice, or juice from the canned salmon to make them more moist.
What can I Use Instead of Breadcrumbs in Salmon Patties?
Good substitutes for breadcrumbs in salmon patties are:
- Shredded bread (made by you in your blender or food processor)
- Crushed saltine crackers
What Tastes Good on a Salmon Patty?
There are a lot of sauces that taste goo on a salmon patty. Some of them are:
- Caesar Dressing
- Cilantro lime sauce
- Dairy-free jalapeno ranch dip
- Dill sauce
- Guacamole dip
- Hollandaise sauce
- Honey mustard sauce
- Lemon garlic dressing
- Mango salsa
- Ranch dressing
- Remoulade sauce (French style)
- Roasted garlic vinaigrette
- Roasted tomato dressing
- Tartar sauce
- Vegan alfredo sauce
Is Canned Salmon Good for You?
Omega-3 fats, protein, calcium, and vitamin D are found in abundance in canned salmon. Omega-3 fats are good for the heart, and vitamin D is healthy brain food. Protein is recommended to be 10% to 35% of our caloric intake. Of course, calcium contributes to strong bones.
Is Pink or Red Canned Salmon Better for You?
Red salmon is richer in Omega-3 fats, has more calories, and higher protein than pink salmon.
Is Canned Salmon a Superfood?
Some think that wild salmon is one of the healthiest proteins available to us. This is mostly because of the high content of magnesium, Omega-e fats, selenium, and vitamins B and D.
Does Canned Salmon have Good or Bad Cholesterol?
Salmon contains unsaturated fats, and can improve your level of cholesterol.
How to Save Any Leftover Salmon Cakes
Although it is unlikely that you’ll have any leftovers, you can save them. Place the cooled salmon cakes on a plate and cover with plastic wrap, or place in an airtight container or plastic bag. Put them in the fridge, and they should be good for about 3 days.
How to Re-heat Leftover Salmon Cakes
Leftover salmon cakes can be re-heated in your microwave. Just put them on a plate, cover with a paper towel or kitchen cloth, and heat for about 1 to 1.5 minutes. The heating time may vary, based on how many salmon cakes you’re heating and the power of your microwave.
Salmon Cakes Recipe
This salmon cakes recipe is easy to make, delicious, and healthy. Making the mixture only takes about 15 minutes, and the cooking is only 2-3 minutes on each side for each salmon cake. So this is an easy weekday meal.
- 1/2 Tbsp. (1/4 oz.) Nutritional Yeast
- 6 oz. (12Tbsp.) Canned Alaskan Salmon
- 1 Cup (8oz) GF Italian Style Breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg Replacer (or 1 Egg)
- Water (as defined by egg replacer instructions)
- 2 Green Onions (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. (1/2 oz) Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. (1oz) DF Feta Cheese crumbles
- 1 Tbsp. (1/2oz) Plant Based Butter
- Open Salmon, and place the contents (undrained), into a large mixing bowl.
- Using a fork, break up the salmon.
- In a separate bowl, add the egg replacer to the water and mix well. If you're using an egg instead of egg replacer, just beat the egg.
- Add the egg or egg replacer mixture to the salmon.
- Add the nutritional yeast, breadcrumbs, chopped green onion, pepper, and Feta cheese. Mix well.
- Add olive oil and continue to mix until well combined.
- Form patties with your hands, making each one about 1/4 cup. Don't make the edges too thin, because they will crumble.
- Place butter in a skillet over medium heat. When it is melted ,add the patties to the pan.
- Cook on each side 2-3 minutes until golden brown and crusty.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 564Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 188mgSodium: 289mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 53g