So, I never really liked cauliflower. Unless it was raw. Like–why should I suffer through fake mashed potatoes? Why not just make mashed potatoes? And even when it was raw, it should be drenched in ranch dressing, right? That was until I made this Vegan Alfredo Sauce – Cauliflower Alfredo. Nope. Wait. Don’t go yet. It’s not like that. I promise. I really did change my mind about a *vegetable* (yes, I know it’s a curse-word, but bare with me). For reals.
See, the taste of alfredo sauce is something I’ve missed VERY much since I went dairy-free. And, now that we know for sure that Donut is very allergic to dairy, it’s Vegan Alfredo Sauce from here on out. I mean, if I’m going to make something, then everyone at the table is going to eat it.
I’m not going to make something “special” for the “special person”. No, we all eat something we can ALL eat. That’s like a rule in my house. Except for shrimp. She’ll just have to learn not to eat that off mommy’s plate. Heh.
What to Have on Hand to Make the Vegan Alfredo Sauce
Just in case you’re wondering, here are the tools I use to make my vegan alfredo sauce–the tools that aren’t food, that is.
Don’t forget the gravy boat. That makes pouring alfredo sauce over pasta more fun. Trust me on this. Heh.
And be sure to sign-up for Amazon Prime–because free shipping = awesome. Just sayin’.
Alright. So, now, the problem is NOT that I no longer like cauliflower. It’s that I might have gone a bit overboard and have learned how to make a bajillion things with it (beyond just dipping awesome gluten-free and vegan calzones in it)…So, besides this basic recipe for Vegan Alfredo Sauce –or Cauliflower Alfredo, whatever you like–be on the lookout for recipes from me for some Cauliflower Ala Panna, Seafood Alfredo and maybe a few others…mmmm…
Drop me a line in the comments below to let me know how yours turns out? That or find me on Facebook–you can drop me a pic there, I think! LOL! And, don’t worry, if you can’t make it right now, just pin it for later. You know you want to. Heh.
Vegan Alfredo Sauce – Cauliflower Alfredo
I made this Vegan Alfredo Sauce - Cauliflower Alfredo. Nope. Wait. Don't go yet. It's not like that. I promise. I really did change my mind about a *vegetable*.
- 1 head of cauliflower, about 4-5 cups was all I got from mine
- 6 cups vegetable broth, or water, but the broth is yummier
- 4 tblspn minced garlic
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 tblspn vegan buttery sticks, I like Earth's Best the best--heh
- 1/3 cup coconut milk, or more, if you want your sauce thinner--I do not
- 1/4 tspn basil, just a pinch
- 1/4 tspn oregano, you know what I mean
- salt and papper to taste
- In an adequately sized pot, place the vegetable broth and cauliflower over medium-to-high heat.
- Bring to a boil for 5-10 mintues or until the cauliflower is super-tender.
- While that's boiling, place the vegan buttery stick, onion and garlic in a pan over high heat.
- You want the onion and garlic to cook just long enough that they get good and hot--and smell great. Then take them off. If you cook them too long, it will kill the yummy flavor of the cauliflower.
- Remove the cauliflower from the broth, but save the broth.
- Place cauliflower, 1/2 cup broth, garlic-onion-buttery stick mixture, basil, oregano and coconut milk into your Ninja food processor.
- Blend, baby, blend. For like 5 mintues. Or pulse it. Whatever floats your boat to get that combination smooth, smooth, smooth. It took me a while. And, even then, it was a little lumpier than I would have liked, but my Ninja is old (can someone say "Santa?").
- Remove, taste, add salt and pepper, as necessary.
- Serve hot over your favorite pasta...mmmmm...