I was getting our elf-on-the-shelf Kit-Kat ready for the coming season. It’s actually our first time with the elf, since our son was past the believing stage when we adopted him and our oldest daughter is just now getting old enough to play. I’m so excited and I have so many ideas, but to do a lot of them, I needed Kit-Kat the elf to be a lot more stiff than when she came out of the box. I looked-up a lot of tutorials, but unfortunately, I have a toddler and a 6-month old, so there was no time–nor an inclination to get out the sewing kit. So, I had to make my own No-Sew and Cheap Way to Make Elf-on-the-Shelf Posable. These are easy hacks that pretty much anyone with an elf can do. And I did them in 10 minutes. So cool.
What you need to Make Elf-on-the-Shelf Posable
- Elf on the Shelf
- Wire hanger (yeah, like for clothes)
- Seam ripper or leatherman tool (that’s what I used because I couldn’t find anything else–toddlers stole the sewing kit)
- Fabric adhesive (you know you have some in your utility drawer) or super glue
- Small white tiny pom-pom (this is not required for making the elf posable, but this is so cute!)
- 1 white velcro dot set
How to Make Elf-on-the-Shelf Posable
- Un-bend the hanger and snip off 2 lengths of wire that are 1/2-inch longer than the elf’s arms.
- Bend both ends of the lengths of wire into loops to keep the wire from poking through the elf’s shirt.
- Open a small hole in the seam on each of the elf’s wrists.
- Push one length of wire into each arm.
- Close-up the hole in each arm with the fabric adhesive.
- Snip off 2 lengths of wire that are 1/2-inch longer than the elf’s legs.
- Bend both ends of the lengths of wire into loops to keep the wire from poking through the elf’s pants. Because that would be awkward.
- Open a small hole about 1/4-inch from the seam in each of the elf’s feet.
- Push one length of wire into each leg.
- Close-up the hole in each leg with the fabric adhesive.
- Place a good dollop of fabric adhesive onto the white pom-pom and place the pom-pom onto the top of the hat about 1/8-inch from the tip (if you try to place it on the tip, it will fall off).
- Allow to sit and dry per the directions on the fabric adhesive bottle–although I had to let mine sit overnight.
- Cut the velcro dots in half and affix one type to one hand and one type to the other. So, soft and fluffy on one hand and crunchy on the other. You get it, yea?
- Now you’re ready for some REAL elf-on-the-shelf fun…