This post contains affiliate links.
You can stop laughing now. I mean, really. This is “NERDY” Mamma, after all. Did you not expect some nerdiness to leak-out? Especially all over Easter, which is such a fun holiday, anyway? LOL! Ok, you can keep laughing. It doesn’t hurt my feelings. Seriously, I have no idea that you’re even laughing at me–I can’t see through your screen (yet, but I bet Facebook is working on that, too). Regardless, you may laugh all you want, even if I CAN see you through your screen. I won’t mind a whit. And laughing is fun. Especially if you’re doing it as you’re making Nerdy Bunny Rice Krispie Treat Pops for Easter. I mean, seriously?! They’re so cute, I almost hesitate to eat them…almost. Because, you know what? They’re tasty, too.
If you’ll notice, there’s some Easter eggs in the background of these photos…well, that’s what this started out as. Honestly, I was just going to make eggs (because, you know, I made something similar last year–mock peeps–and thought this would be a fun twist on it). Because that’s how non-inventive I am. But then…then genius (or nerdiness) struck. I mean, those chocolate bunnies that my kid can’t have? Well, I took care of that now, didn’t I? I mean, these are freakin’ chocolate bunnies. FREAKIN’ CHOCOLATE BUNNIES! And they’re cute, too…much cuter than those stupid store-bought bunnies.
Regardless of the inspiration, this is the result. Be careful as you’re shaping these that you let the mixture cool enough before handling. I totally have a finger that keeps telling me its burnt (but I’m not sure I believe it, because how does this level of cuteness burn anyone?!). So, just be careful when handling hot things. My PSA for the day.
Nerdy Bunny Rice Krispie Treat Pops for Easter
Laughing is fun. Especially if you're doing it as you're making Nerdy Bunny Rice Krispie Treat Pops for Easter. I mean, seriously?! They're so cute!
- 6 cups Rice Krispies or similar
- 4 cups marshmallows, just one bag will do
- 4 tblspns coconut oil
- 1 cup dairy-free, vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup 1- 1 1/2 bars dairy-free, vegan white chocolate
- 2-3 tblspns corn syrup
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- pink, blue, green and black food coloring
- 4-6 cake pop sticks
- Using a large dutch oven or large sauce pot, place the coconut oil over high heat.
- When the coconut oil has melted completely, add the marshmallows and stir.
- Keep stirring.
- Stir some more.
- Just stir until they melt all the way.
- When there's no more marshmallow lumps, immediately remove from heat and add the Rice Krispies. Bonus points if you can actually do this at the same time--I cannot.
- Stir until all of the cereal is coated thoroughly in marshmallow.
- Dump mixture onto a large surface such as a large cookie sheet, covered in wax paper (unless your cookie sheet is not rusted and gnarly like mine is...then you can skip the wax paper).
- After the mixture has cooled to the touch enough that you can mess with it without burning yourself (because ow), mush it into a large rectangle approximately 3/4 to 1-inch thick. Please make it as even as possible.
- Using a wet butter knife, cut out the shape of the bunny face generally (and the ears--don't forget the ears). Keep wetting your knife frequently. It helps.
- Don't try to pull the bunny faces up, just peel the treats from around them. You can feel free to make more faces--but I just made yummy noises as I at the remainder.
- Allow the bunny faces to continue to cool in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes while you make the chocolate coating (or have a cup of coffee, then make the chocolate...whatever, you have 10 minutes to kill).
- Place the chocolate (in two separate bowls, please) into the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between increments, until the chocolate is melted completely.
- Remove the bunny faces from the refrigerator and dip one end of a cake pop stick into the white chocolate, then gently stick that stick into a bunny face's bottom place.
- Do this for all the bunnies then put them back in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. And finish your cup of coffee...And maybe finish your crossword.
- Remove the bunny faces from the refrigerator and dip one side (just one) into one (just one) of the chocolates, then put it back on the cookie sheet. Do half in brown chocolate and half in white chocolate.
- Place the bunnies back in the refrigerator for another 10 minutes. Do not have another cup o' joe. You don't need it.
- Remove the bunnies and dip the other side in the corresponding chocolate. Then put them back in the fridge for another 10 minutes.
- Ok, this is the fun part. Make your icing by mixing the powdered sugar and 2 tblspns of corn syrup together. If the mixture isn't moist enough to work with, add more corn syrup.
- Separate the icing into 4 bowls and color each with pink, blue, green and black.
- Pull your bunnies out, pick a side and start decorating!
So, tell me. What do you think? Will you try your hand at a little Nerdy Bunny Rice Krispie Treat Pops for Easter? Or am I on my own? Anybody? Anybody? Is this thing even on? (heh)