(Ingredients: Sometimes, I crave that amazing cake my lunch lady made every Friday. This is How to Make a Texas Sheet Cake and recreate that magic.)
I am not saying that I was excited to eat everything in the lunchroom in school.
It was not always the, how do you say it….best? Or even the most mediocre?
Ok, sometimes it was rough.
And I spent a lot of time in the “hamburger” line because it couldn’t be messed up–it’s a freaking hamburger.
But there was one thing I just craved, and still do, even to this day.
That amazing chocolate cake they served on Fridays.
Y’all, this is How to Make a Texas Sheet Cake and bring back that Friday magic from the lunchroom into your own home.
Before you start, you might want to make sure you have a nice, thick sided baking pan like this one–otherwise your batter will be over the edges in a heartbeat (take it from experience).
But, honestly, this Texas Sheet Cake recipe is so easy–you can be pretty confident you’re not going to need anything special to make it that you probably don’t already have in your kitchen.
And, when you’ve got your pans ready, you can check out this video I made to go along with the instructions for How to Make a Texas Sheet Cake–it basically walks you through step-by-step so you can see just how easy this really is.
Then, you should pin this tutorial for How to Make a Texas Sheet Cake–that way you can find it again in a couple weeks when the craving is flung upon you again! LOL!
How to Make a Texas Sheet Cake
Sometimes, I crave that amazing cake my lunch lady made every Friday. This is How to Make a Texas Sheet Cake and recreate that magic.
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup water
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 stick butter
- Tbsp cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp milk
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Grease a large baking sheet.
- In a saucepan, mix butter, water, and cocoa powder. Bring to a boil.
- In a bowl, add sugar, flour, and salt. Mix.
- Add the dry ingredients to the saucepan and mix.
- Add the eggs and stir.
- To the chocolate mix, add the sour cream and mix thoroughly.
- Finally, sprinkle the baking soda in and stir.
- Pour into the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, make the frosting. You will want to frost the cake while it is still warm, immediately after taking out of the oven.
- In a saucepan, add cocoa powder, milk and butter. Heat until it is bubbly. Remove from the heat and beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Pour over warm cake and allow to cool and set.