Summer just calls for ridiculous things. Like cotton candy, funnel cakes watermelon-seed spitting contests. And it’s hot, so if ridiculous and ice cream can meet-up and be buddies, these Vegan and Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches would be it. I mean, they’re ridiculously yummy, messy as all get-out (so eat them outside at your Backyard BBQ), and they cool you off when you’re smoldering…awesome, if you ask me.
I was inspired to make these Vegan and Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches when my daughter was asleep the other day…I kept thinking about the way that the summer heat just put her out and how here’s the pic of her all passed-out in the car before I took her inside to make the cookies.
It was so hot–like 90-degrees (and it’s ONLY MAY!) and she just couldn’t stand the heat. So I carried her inside, thinking about how excited she’d be to wake-up to a snack of cookies and ice cream…then the actions just started and before I knew it there were ice cream sandwiches in a neat little stack ready for her to wake-up and smile…
If I did it again, though, I might try to put sprinkles on the sides instead of chocolate chips–like I did for my vegan ice cream sandwiche we made a while back. The chocolate chips were just harder to chomp-down on than I liked for a toddler that just wanted to lick. Plus, we ended-up with chocolate everywhere…but somehow, that’s almost a daily occurrence, so I can’t really blame it on the chocolate…that’s all me. Heh.
Vegan and Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 2½ cups gluten-free flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tspn vanilla
- 1 tspn baking soda (gluten-free, remember!)
- ½ tspn salt
- ¾ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup aquafaba (yeah, bean juice, you know you love it)
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Ice Cream
- 4 cans coconut milk (refrigerated overnight)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tspn vanilla extract (clear)
- To make the ice cream, start by opening your coconut milk cans and scoop the thick cream part into a bowl, trying to get as little of the coconut water as possible. Discard coconut water or just set aside for chugging later, whatever.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Mix on high 2-3 minutes with a hand mixer until it becomes stiff and fluffy.
- Put the ice cream in the freezer until you're ready to use it. An hour should be long enough.
- To make the cookies, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper, or similar.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all wet ingredients.
- In a second mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients except chocolate chips.
- Add dry ingredients to wet in ⅓ increments.
- Mix well.
- Fold-in chocolate chips until mixed throughout.
- Roll into small balls and then place on the baking sheet approximately 2-inches apart. Leave the balls alone for more chewy cookies. For more flat and crunchy cookies, pat them down a little to spread them out.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 12-15 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes or until they are completely cool to the touch.
- To assemble the ice cream sandwiches, just place a scoop of soft ice cream between 2 cookies and kind of smoosh it into shape.
- Then, drop some chocolate chips on the ice cream, so that you can have a little more chocolate in your life! LOL!
So, will you be making some chilly Vegan and Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches for your little tots this summer? Leave me a message below in the comments to let me know how they turn out!