My son is not a picky eater. He’s pretty open to having whatever and whenever. Unless the choice is Mexican food–then he has some favorites that he’ll always pick over the others. One of his most favorites is Easy Oven-Baked Taquitos. I made these when he was 7 for the first time, about a week after we adopted him. From that moment on, he could not get enough.
It was kind of by chance that I made the Oven-Baked Taquitos for him the first time. He was so little and wasn’t sure how to communicate what he wanted to eat…but the way he packed those taquitos away–it was something else. I wish I’d gotten pictures of the first time he ate them–those wide eyes and excited smiles. Just gave him a little cup of sour cream and a drizzle of salsa…he was a happy, happy boy.
Easy Oven-Baked Taquitos
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked (or 1 large can shredded chicken)
- 1 small onion
- 1 tspn minced garlic
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- ½ tspn chili powder
- 2 tblspn canola oil
- 1 cup shredded cheese, if desired
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
- Chop the onion into very small bits.
- In a small pan, place the onion, garlic, canola oil and chicken.
- Shred the chicken while you cook over medium heat until the onions are tender and translucent.
- Add salt, pepper and chili powder.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to the touch.
- Place about 3 tblspns of meat in the center of the tortilla across the tortilla.
- Fold the tortilla in half over the meat, then roll tightly.
- Repeat with all 12 tortillas.
- Place taquitos in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove and allow to cool before you chow down in a fest of awesome.
Will you be making a big batch of Easy Oven-Baked Taquitos for your kiddos this evening? Let me know how they turn out! Just drop me a line in the comments below!