This post contains affiliate links.
One of my favorite things about having little kids is that I can be kind of silly sometimes. And not just “oh, I made a funny face and you laughed” kind of silly, but more “I played with our food and we’re still going to eat it and have fun” kind of silly. For example: Cookie Dough Popcorn. No, this is not some recipe reminiscent of my 6th grade science class “inventor” experiment phase. It’s just me. Having fun in the kitchen with my kids. Because, you see, this was not something I planned to eat every day–but just for fun on special occasions. Ok, well, every day has a sunset and that’s a special occasion, so…maybe every day?
Ok, so there really was a lesson section on inventing that we did in my 6th grade science class where my teacher had each of us come up with a recipe for enhancing popcorn. I still remember my friend Joe’s Kool-Aid popcorn…it was WAY better than my powdered sugar popcorn. I’m not sure what in the world he did to get that Kool-Aid to stick, but it was genius. And my powdered sugar just seemed to fall off in a dismal, sad way. He must have put some kind of oil on it, while I just dumped a handful of powdered sugar on my popcorn as I walked out the door that morning (don’t ask–it was a bad phase for me as a pre-teen–I even crimped my hair–eegads!). But this recipe for Cookie Dough Popcorn would have won first prize in our little class competition, I think…
Wonder what ever happened to Joe…and his yummy popcorn inventing skills.
Cookie Dough Popcorn
- 4-6 cups popped pop corn (I am currently gnoshing on this hull-less variety)
- ⅜ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅜ cup granulated white sugar
- 3 tblspn coconut milk (the kind you use for cereal, not the canned kind, unless that’s all you’ve got, but really at that point, don’t open a whole can to do this…just put some water in the milk’s place and see how it works out)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 cup oat flour (or, you can be cheap and lazy like me and just use baby oatmeal cereal--it works really well)
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips (homemade or some of that store bought stuff, either way…but one day I’m going to make a recipe for some made with chocolate liqueur, so keep an eye-out for that)
- Cream the coconut oil and sugars together.
- Add vanilla, milk and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Mix-in the oat flour in ¼ cup increments until mixture is smooth.
- Stir-in the chocolate chips.
- Form tiny balls of the cookie dough and drop into your popcorn.
- Stir frequently to keep balls from reforming into a giant lump.
- Drizzle some chocolate syrup over it, if you dare...(oh, and eat it...LOL!)
If you loved this recipe, hit me up with a note in the comments. Or, check out my other awesome cookie dough creations like my edible cookie dough and dairy-free cookie dough ice cream. You know you want to…