Being dairy-free is almost like cutting out a whole part of my life. There’s just so much I feel like I don’t get to enjoy. Like my mother-in-law’s homemade lasagna or my own fried chicken. I really miss those. But one thing I’m so super-excited I don’t have to miss-out on anymore…cream cheese. And all the wonderful beagles, english muffins and banana bread I want…all because of this awesome dairy-free and nut-free recipe for Coconut Milk Cream Cheese. So amazing. Love it.
The best part about this recipe is that I can share it with my daughters. I think that’s the worst part of the whole dairy-free thing, really and truly, that I passed it on to my kids and they can’t have Mimi’s lasagna or Yaya’s cheesecake. Makes me really sad for them. That’s why I’ve gone to all these lengths to make these alternative recipes, honestly. If it was just me, I’d probably just avoid dairy and eat it when I was a guest at someone’s house–its what I did all my life until I had these babies. Now, it just seems cruel to eat ice cream in front of them…heh.
Coconut Milk Cream Cheese
- Refrigerate the cans of coconut milk overnight or at least a couple of hours so that the milk separates.
- Place linen cloth over a bowl, pushing the cloth down to create a depression.
- Open the cans of coconut and pour-off the water, placing the cream in the depression of the cloth.
- Wrap the cream in the cloth and squeeze the water off. Be careful here, because you don't want to squeeze too much off--just enough so that the cream is more solid like cream cheese.
- Get rid of the water and put the cheese (we're going to start calling it cheese now) in the bowl, without the cloth.
- Mix-in the lemon, salt and garlic, then prepare to be wowed...you have yourself some yummy cheese...
If you just love this recipe, drop me a note the comments.