There is potato soup, and then there’s Loaded Baked Potato Soup. This recipe is for the latter. When I was a kid, my mom used to make the former–just plain old potato soup. Don’t get me wrong, Mom’s potato soup was good. In fact, more than one person has sworn by the healing powers of Mom’s potato soup. But I firmly believe that the soup’s only healing power was provided by the love my mom cooked into it. Although I love the plain-old-plain-old potato soup, I’ve come up with a recipe for Loaded Baked Potato Soup that will knock your socks off.
But, just FYI, I don’t recommend trying to eat more than 2 bowls of the loaded baked potato soup in one sitting. My hubby did that the other evening when I made this for the blog and he HURT. I mean, so full (happily so, but still), SO FULL. He was just ready to burst at the seams. I guess it’s just that our bowls are kind of big–and the soup is less of a soup and more of a meal. That kind of got him. So, you’ve been warned: BE PREPARED FOR EYES-BIGGER-THAN-STOMACH-SYNDROME. Heh.
Don’t you wish all really good recipes came with that kind of warning? LOL!
KOVOT Set of 4 Speckled Ceramic Soup Bowls With Spoons – 22-Ounces Each[Updated] Soup Spoons, AmoVee Wholesale Stainless Steel Alpha Round Spoons, Set of 8Fred SALT+MAGIC Wand Salt and Pepper ShakersSweese 1131 Porcelain Fluted Latte Bowl Set – 28 Ounce Stable and Deep – Microwavable Bowls for Cereal, Soup – Set of 6, Cool Assorted ColorsStar Wars Salt and Pepper Shakers – R2D2 and R2Q5 – Add a little Star Wars to every Meal
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
There is potato soup, and then there's Loaded Baked Potato Soup. This recipe is for the latter.
- 2 cups diced raw Potatoes, I prefer the golden potatoes like youkon gold
- 4 cups Water
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 pound sliced Smoked Sausage
- 1/2 cup Croutons
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp ground Black Pepper
- Parsley Flakes
- Place diced Potatoes and Water in a large sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender and the soup has begun to thicken (this should take about 15-20 minutes).
- Drain about half of the water off.
- Stir in Milk, Cheddar Cheese, Sour Cream, Salt, and Pepper, mushing about half of the potatoes as you stir.
- Set aside, allowing it to thicken on its own.
- Heat Smoked Sausage in a skillet or in the microwave. Place on a paper towel to drain. Set aside.
- Serve with slices of warmed sausage, croutons, and garnish with Parsley Flakes (or a big dollop of sour cream, or even some bacon).
So, I’m dying to know how your Loaded Baked Potato Soup turns out. I mean, each person has kind of a different take on it and I know that not everybody will love it. But if you’d leave me a comment below I’d love to know if this is something you’re planning to make again, or if it was a swing-and-a-miss in your house. Hope to hear form you soon!