This post contains affiliate links.
At our house, we like to have a recipe for EVERY holiday. This is another (modified) family recipe, handed down for at least 4 generations. It started as a recipe for pineapple upside down cake, morphed into a strawberry cake, then became vegan for my eggless relative–then suddenly it was gluten-free, too. But, it doesn’t matter what it used to be…because, it makes the lightest, fluffiest cupcakes you’ve ever eaten. But, be warned, once you’ve had one of these Gluten-Free & Vegan Red-White-and-Blue Cupcakes, you can’t stop. I mean, really, you’ll be licking the crumbs off the plate.
If you’re not into the whole making of the Gluten-Free & Vegan Red-White-and-Blue Cupcakes from scratch, you can do a little back-door action with this awesome gluten-free & vegan cake mix. I ordered my own set and was quite impressed with the results (although I just made plain vanilla ones…long story, but needless to say, my husband is kind of cupcaked-out for the time being).
Gluten-Free & Vegan Red-White-and-Blue Cupcakes
- ¼ cup vegan Butter or Margarine, room temperature (I like Earth's Balance--but am open to suggestion if there's another brand you want to let me know about in the comments that works as well)
- ¾ cup granulated Sugar
- 3 tblspns aquafaba (bean juice) - my daughter insisted that I try this...and she was right, it works, but don't tell her I told you that
- 1-1/4 cups gluten-free Flour mix...I used Bob's Red Mill
- 1-1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tspn white Vinegar
- ½ cup Coconut Milk (just the cereal kind, not the canned kind)
- 1 tsp CLEAR Vanilla
- 1 cup Coconut Cream (this is the stuff you scoop out of the can of coconut milk after it's been in the fridge over night. I found the cheaper the can of coconut milk, the more cream you'll get)
- ½ cup granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp CLEAR Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350⁰.
- Place paper baking cups in 12 muffin tins.
- Cream the Butter or Margarine and gradually add Sugar.
- Add aquafaba and beat well. Set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients and stir.
- Add ⅓ of dry ingredient mixture to butter and sugar mixture, mix.
- Combine Coconut Milk, Vinegar and Vanilla, and add ⅓ of milk and vanilla mixture to other mixture, mix well.
- Alternately add ⅓ of dry ingredients and ⅓ of milk and vanilla, mixing well between additions.
- Divide batter into 3 equal parts.
- Add red food coloring to one portion of batter, and blue food coloring to another.
- Spoon about a tablespoon of each color batter into paper baking cups (white so you can see through them kinda) beginning with blue batter, then white (or uncolored), then red--cups should be about ½ to ⅔ full.
- Bake for approximately 12 - 14 minutes.
- While that's baking, in a large mixing bowl, beat Coconut Cream on high until it begins to thicken.
- Add Sugar and Vanilla.
- Continue beating on high until the mixture becomes stiff and holds its shape.
- Spoon into piping bag and top cupcakes (or just slap it on there with a knife if you're not feeling the piping bag like me).
- Adorn with red and blue sprinkles.
So, what do you think of my Gluten-Free & Vegan Red-White-and-Blue Cupcakes? If you try them, drop me a line in the comments below to let me know how they turn out for you!