(Inside: Yeah, I get it. You’re looking for anything to make your picky eater be excited about a snack. Me too. That’s why I’m pulling out the big guns: Mermaid Toast. Yep. Ridiculously cute–but easy, too. And the result: she absolutely loves it.)
Let’s be brutally honest with each other.
As moms, that’s only fair.
Having a picky eater in your household sucks.
Not like “oh, she’s so picky, she won’t eat mushrooms.”
No, that kind of picky eater is actually kind of easy.
The kind I have? She won’t eat ANYTHING but french fries, chicken nuggets, and apples. WTH?!
Who subsides on a diet of that?!
Apparently my kid.
So, I’m getting ridiculously creative, trying to introduce new foods to her diet.
Enter the Mermaid Toast.
Ten delicious bites of cream cheese on toast with a little banana and some coconut to top it off.
Mermaid Toast is actually so easy to put together, I’m sad I didn’t think of it before, honestly.
And it’s so pretty, I went ahead and made some more Mermaid Toast the next morning for a play date.
That way my Mermaid Toast could be wow’d over by another mom.
Yeah, because that’s how I roll.
Roll with me–give it a try.
And pin this, so you don’t forget how between now and when you pick up some cream cheese…
Then, come back and drop me a pic of how yours turned out on the pin! So cool.
And if you’re hankering for more than just text to tell you how to do this, I made a handy slideshow of the process.
Yeah, I get it. You're looking for anything to make your picky eater be excited about a snack. Me too. That's why I'm pulling out the big guns: Mermaid Toast. Yep. Ridiculously cute--but easy, too. And the result: she absolutely loves it.
- 4 pieces of toast, toasted
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- Violet gel food coloring
- 2 tbsp sweetened coconut flakes
- ½ banana
- Divide your cream cheese into 2 bowls. Color one with a drop of violet gel food coloring and whip to get it completely tinted.
- Place cream cheese in separate piping bags (so one piping bag will have your plain cream cheese and the other, the purple cream cheese).
- Pipe cream cheese dots in a row, right on your toast. Alternate between the plain cream cheese and the purple cream cheese.
- Place an offset spatula in the middle of a dot and swipe sideways. Repeat with all the dots in the row. Pipe out more dots, overlapping your row of swiped cream cheese and repeat. (Hint: clean your spatula as you go).
- Repeat until toast is completely covered with cream cheese.
- Sprinkle coconut flakes on one side of the toast. Cut pieces of banana and place on one corner. Enjoy!
Yields: 4 decorated pieces of toast