I’ll be honest, it’s like almost summer here in Texas, but the weather is being a brat. Yeah, I said it. Bratty weather. Now, knowing how things work around here in our lovely state, I’ll be seeing snow for a week. Really. It happened in July one time. Shouldn’t have said it. But really, it’s that bad. So, I’m trying to usher the summer here, since it’s my favorite season, and my way of doing so entails sitting on the patio (despite the oddly chilly weather) with a Grapefruit Mojito in hand.
Did you know that Texas produces like a bajillion grapefruit every year? Yeah, apparently they like our weird weather. So, whenever I get a hankering for that crazy tart, I am reminded that Texas is the place for these great-big, gigantigus sweet treats. And I get my Grapefruit Mojito on. Because, really, I could have a grapefruit for breakfast, but why not drink your vitamins, right?!
In all seriousness, though, I’m kind of proud of my state heritage with regard to the grapefruit. It’s a big deal. There’s whole orchards of the stuff. And they taste amazing. My husband just drinks the juice straight–but I’m not that cool. I like it mixed-up with the club soda…a little mint for my own enjoyment and a little lime for his. And sugar. I like my sugar with grapefruit…
I'm trying to usher the summer here, since it's my favorite season, and my way of doing so entails sitting on the patio (despite the oddly chilly weather) with a Grapefruit Mojito in hand.
- 4 limes
- 2-6 sprigs mint, depending on size--mine were really small this time for some reason
- 2 large grapefruits, preferably from Texas, because those are the sweetest
- 5 oz. rum, white is my choice, but I've had it with caramel and it's still yummy, just not as pretty
- 1 tblspn sugar
- 2 cups club soda
- Ice, to taste
- Preheat oven--no, wait. Heh.
- Peel one grapefruit and section it. Set aside.
- Juice the other grapefruit and pour juice into your pitcher.
- Crush 2/3 of your mint and add to the grapefruit juice.
- Juice limes (pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to help facilitate the juice-making).
- Add lime juice (sans seeds) to the grapefruit juice.
- Add rum, sugar and club soda.
- Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour into your glasses and add 3-5 chunks of grapefruit to each glass.
- Top with ice.
- Drop a mint leaf on top and stir.
Anything else you’d add to a Grapefruit Mojito? Lemme know by dropping me a comment below–or finding me on Facebook! Would love to hear what you think of this, one of my favorite beverages for this weird Texas weather.