I was provided a copy of THE UNOFFICIAL GUIDE TO CRAFTING THE WORLD OF HARRY POTTER to facilitate my review.
I was leafing through my friend Jamie’s new book the other day: THE UNOFFICIAL GUIDE TO CRAFTING THE WORLD OF HARRY POTTER (which is awesome–and I expect you to buy it or scroll down and enter the giveaway–and then buy it if you don’t win or buy it for a gift for a friend if you do win a copy for yourself). My son suddenly reached-over and stabbed his finger on a page I was just about to turn–nearly tearing the page. “That one!” he yelled. And so, we set to making our Easy DIY Harry Potter Wand Pencils for Back to School Teacher Gifts. (although, let’s be honest, I think my son might be wanting one or two for himself, too–heh).
Well, ok. So, I kinda lied there. I said “we” set to making our Easy DIY Harry Potter Wand Pencils for Back to School Teacher Gifts…by “we”, like always, I meant “me”. Weird how that happens, huh? So, I made them. Just one person. In about 30 mintues–including drying time. If I excluded dry time, then I spent about 10 minutes making, painting, repainting and sealing. So, fast, easy, fun and you end-up with this awesome teacher gift. Totally worth it.
So, should you just love these awesome Harry Potter Wand Pencils and are just dying to make them for your kid’s teachers (or yourself), you just feel free to go ahead and pin it. Because you know you want to. And, because, unless you’re making this right now, you’re going to regret not pinning it. You know you will. So, just save yourself the effort. Pin it. Heh.
You Want the Book?
Oh, well, of course you do–it’s awesome and fun. Just click here to get your copy…or, scroll on down after you make your wand pencils and enter the giveaway for a copy of the book from me and my other friend Stephanie at Parenting Chaos (who made this AWESOME Remebrall Ring)!
What You Need to Make Your Harry Potter Wand Pencils
- Brown Acrylic Paint and Sponge (and a paper plate for a pallet, but come ON!)
- Decoupage Glue (optional)
- Hot Glue Gun and Glue
- 2 Cups (to let the wands dry over)
How to Make Your Harry Potter Wand Pencils
- About a 1/4 of the way from the eraser, place some globs or lines of hot glue all the way around the pencil. Just spin it slowly while you’re squirting hot glue on the pencil. Come on, all the cool kids are doing it. Heh. You can cover the eraser if you want–or not. This is up to you and whether you want your teacher gift to be inclusive of an eraser. LOL!
- Allow the hot glue to dry.
- Paint pencil and glue with the brown paint, using the pallet and sponge as necessary.
- Allow paint to dry.
- Do another coat, to cover any spots of pencil showing through.
- Allow paint to dry completely. You’re welcome to watch it or go do something else. Your choice.
- Decoupage the pencil completely.
- Allow to dry.
- Decoupage any spots that didn’t get decoupaged the first time.
- Allow to dry completely.
- Wrap-up with some red ribbon or just hand them to the teacher on the first day!