My older daughter is getting so big. So. Freakin’. Big. She’s potty training (VERY successfully). And she’s starting to count and sing the ABC song with me. So, I wanted to get her some fun games that were alphabet-centric. Only, nothing seemed right–and nothing seemed easy. So, I decided it would be fun to start by making some manipulatives–then come up with some games as we go. I made these Easy Salt Dough DIY Alphabet Chips for ABC Play. And this, this was the smartest idea ever.
The coolest part of these manipulatives is that they’re not just visual–they’re textured into the shapes of the letters. That way my kiddo can feel what the letters are like, not just see them. So, it’s kind of fun. And, you can make them fun scents, too, if you add some extract or essential oils. I kind of forgot that step, so mine aren’t smellerific, but they COULD be. So, you can do that if you want.
Now, my husband said these were not the coolest thing ever, because he was disappointed as a kid that similar stuff was inedible. And though I wouldn’t recommend kiddos eating this–its kind of yucky. But they are taste-safe. They don’t have to taste them though–again, they aren’t yummy. But if your kid gets curious…not gonna hurt ’em. LOL!
What You Need to Make the Alphabet Chips for ABC Play
- 1 cup salt
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 10-12 drops of your chosen food coloring
- Acrylic paint in a contrasting color
- Any essential oils or extracts you want to add
- Glitter for sprinkling, if so desired
How to Make the Alphabet Chips for ABC Play
- Mix water, food coloring, any smelly-stuff together in a bowl until consistently mixed.
- Mix the colored water, flour and salt together in a large bowl, until consistently doughy and no clumps remain.
- Split the dough into 26 equal balls.
- Mash balls into flat pancakes about a 1/4-inch to 1/8-inch thick.
- Using your finger (you can wet it a little if necessary), mash each letter into one each of the pancakes.
- Place the pancake letters into the oven at 200-degrees for 2-3 hours or until the salt dough is dry.
- Paint the letters onto the dry rocks. You can let your toddler help with this–but mine was asleep, so I did it…LOL!
- Immediately sprinkle with glitter.
- Allow to fully dry. You can even spray with a sealant, but I didn’t–I’ll just make more, if the paint starts to wear off.
So, will you be making some Easy DIY Alphabet Chips for your kiddos? Let me know how they turn out! Drop me a pic on Facebook or leave me a comment below…I’d love to hear if your kiddos like to play with these!