It’s like this–I can’t ever catch a break. Seriously, the one night–ONE NIGHT–that the kids are at my parent’s house for the whole month of August and it rains. Not just a sprinkle…but a full-on annual flood kind of thing. So, rather than having lobster on the grill with my hubby, a candle and fine JaM Cabernet on our deck (you know, because we, like I want you to, drink responsibly–savvy), I ended up with second best (but still awesome): Fresh Lobster with Vegan Mushroom Garlic Alfredo Sauce on the kitchen table, with that fine berry-licious JaM Cab and a peach pie for dessert.
One of the things I really love about my husband is that, despite the fact that he has no idea what color my eyes are or even notices when I dye my hair blue (seriously, it can be DAYS before he realizes that it’s blue), he knows what’s important to me: celebrating the little things–like the kids being out of the house for a night. So, he made it a point to pick up a bottle of JaM Cab and some lobster, shrimp and mushrooms on his way home from work last Friday. So, despite the downpour, we had our Fresh Lobster with Vegan Mushroom Garlic Alfredo Sauce on the table in 20 minutes flat. And a glass of wine in waaaay less than that. LOL!
Basically, my “celebration” was the quietest meal I’ve had in ages. Nobody to hand a sippy cup, nobody to insist I share what’s on my plate (despite the fact that it’s identical to theirs), nobody’s diaper to change after dinner. Dern-straight, it was a celebration. Heck, I felt like celebrating the fact that I had the celebration–if that makes any sense. LOL!
So, I did. I had another glass of JaM Cab, because, I was being responsible and there weren’t any littlies running around–I could just relax, watch the rain come down and take my time dipping all that glorious lobster in buttery-goodness. Yay me.
Oh, erhm, may have gotten off-topic there, excited about the wine. You know, it’s just so easy-to-love…and with that Fresh Lobster with Vegan Mushroom Garlic Alfredo Sauce and a peach pie? All that berry-packed-bursting-with-flavor JaM Cab was like a little party in my mouth. Heh.
To have your own party in your mouth, you should totally check out all three of JaM Cellars easy-to-love, everyday California wines: Butter Chardonnay (‘so good), JaM Cabernet (mmmm…) and Toast Sparkling (ok, now I’m just excited). LOL!
And don’t forget to pin this post–so you can remember the recipe and which wine goes SOOOO well with both the lobster AND the peaches (JaM Cab, in case you missed it). Then, let’s get celebrating!
Fresh Lobster with Vegan Mushroom Garlic Alfredo Sauce
Fresh Lobster with Vegan Mushroom Garlic Alfredo Sauce on the kitchen table, with that fine berry-licious JaM Cab and a peach pie for dessert.
- 2 whole lobsters
- 4 lemons, halved
- 1 head of cauliflower, about 4-5 cups was all I got from mine
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 6 cups vegetable broth, or water, but the broth is yummier
- 6 tblspn minced garlic
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 tblspn vegan buttery sticks, I like Earth's Best the best--heh
- ⅓ cup coconut milk, or more, if you want your sauce thinner--I do not
- ¼ tspn basil, just a pinch
- ¼ tspn oregano, you know what I mean
- salt and papper to taste
- In an adequately sized pot, place the vegetable broth and cauliflower over medium-to-high heat.
- Bring to a boil for 5-10 mintues or until the cauliflower is super-tender.
- Start a pot to boil over the stove that is adequately sized for the lobster and drop the halves of lemon into the water.
- While that's boiling, place the vegan buttery stick, mushrooms, onion and garlic in a pan over high heat.
- You want the onion and garlic to cook just long enough that they get good and hot--and smell great. Then take them off. If you cook them too long, it will kill the yummy flavor of the cauliflower.
- Fish the mushrooms out of the garlic/onion mixture and set aside.
- Place lobster in the boiling pot.
- Remove the cauliflower from the broth, but save the broth.
- Place cauliflower, ½ cup broth, garlic-onion-buttery stick mixture, basil, oregano and coconut milk into your food processor.
- Blend, baby, blend. For like 5 mintues. Or pulse it. Whatever floats your boat to get that combination smooth, smooth, smooth. It took me a while. And, even then, it was a little lumpier than I would have liked, but my food processor is old (can someone say "Santa?").
- Remove, taste, add salt and pepper, as necessary.
- Mix-in the mushrooms gently--they fall apart easily.
- Remove lobster from the pot.
- Serve immediately with some JaM Cab...mmmmm...