This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
My son. Oh, my son. He’s a bundle of fun. But, I know that he’s REALLY nervous about starting high school, just like I was years ago (not telling you how many years–not telling). But, I remember it like it was yesterday. Seriously–I was so scared. But my mom did these 5 Hacks for Making Freshman Year Amazing–and, let me tell you, my friends, it made all the difference.
Ok, so my mom didn’t do these EXACT things (because it was YEARS ago)–but these 5 Hacks for Making Freshman Year Amazing are EXACTLY what I’m doing. Because, I remember what it was like and what my mom did was close enough…well, just let me explain.
5 Hacks for Making Freshman Year Amazing
- The Hair. My mom let me dye my hair. Now, this may not be the thing for my son. His thing may be letting it grow out. Or shaving it completely off. But it’s his hair. And letting him own it–well, it’s like giving him a new lease on life.
- The Clothes. Just like with the hair. You can’t dictate their clothing choices anymore. If you do, that kiddo is going to be ridiculed and feel all sorts of out of place. Your teen needs to be able to choose their own. Not that they will know any better, but at least they can figure it out. My mom let me buy cowgirl jeans. So, picture that–dyed hair with cowgirl jeans (and boots to go with). Heh.
- The Tech. This is a big one. In my day it was a pager. My mom got me a pager. WOW, I’m feeling old…Anyway, the thing now is a computer. The kids can’t even do the majority of their homework without computers. But, that’s not the whole story. It’s also about responsibility. And pride of ownership. Having that computer–and being able to control the tech in their life–is huge.
- More Tech. Lets be clear, kids need more than “just a computer”. There’s a whole passel of things that can help their freshman year amazing. Seriously. Tablets, phones, audio players, headphones, mice, USB drives, you name it. And the crowning piece is the computer, sure, but support devices are taking that up a notch.
- The Choices. Ok. ALL of the choices. I’m not kidding. This is the year you stop telling them what you’re having for dinner or which class they’re going to attend or, even, how they’re going to get to school. You can still guide them to make smart decisions, but you need to learn to let them take control and make the choices.
The first choice I let my son make his freshman year? Picking out one of these ALL NEW computers at Walmart. Specifically, he picked the HP Pavilion Notebook. So, whatever he’s passionate about this week, be it art or band or math or, *gasp* dance (yes, he signed-up for dance–he’s going to have SO much fun), he’ll be ready to energize his imagination and take it to the next level with his all-new HP Pavilion Notebook. Seriously, this laptop is packed with all the features he needs to spark his creativity–for any class or extra-curricular activity.
With the HP Pavilion Notebook, he’ll have so many features including:
- Up to 7 hours of battery life.
- A thin, lightweight frame and bold, playful design, to complements his style.
- Dual HP speakers, HP Audio Boost, and tuning by B&O PLAY, to give him a rich, authentic audio experience.
So, what do you think? Do you have anything you’d add to my 5 Hacks for Making Freshman Year Amazing? Don’t forget to hit up Walmart and find the perfect HP computer WITH your incoming freshman. It will make all the difference.
And, if your freshman falls in love with your HP computer like mine did, you should be sure to visit Walmart to share your thoughts! Help other parents to shop smart this back to school season and get the things their freshmen need with your online review.