Breakfast this Sunday was the best I’ve had in a really long time. I mean, I knew this gluten-free diet would be hard, but I didn’t know so many things would come across my computer screen…But my day was totally made this Sunday and this is why. My friends, I would like to present to you the unofficial Vegan & Gluten-Free Krispie Kreme Donut Holes Copycat Recipe. Love it, because, my lovelies, it’s for real and it’s that good.
I spend like half my life now on Pinterest…its like a relaxing hobby I can do when I’m out. There’s no way to color when you’re sitting in the car waiting for a drive-thru or killing time in a line at the DMV. But Pinterest? Yup. So, I’m hunting around the other day for cool things to pin and I found this awesome recipe for Copycat Krispie Kreme Donuts on one of my favorite blogs, DinnerThenDessert. I kind of fell in love a little, but it was all like a “normal” recipe. For “normal” people. Not for me. I was sad in a tiny little corner of myself…I really wanted those donuts. But I couldn’t resist. So, I modified the recipe and this was the awesome result. I love these donut holes. Because, my lovelies, it’s for real and it’s that good.
Vegan & Gluten-Free Krispie Kreme Donut Holes Copycat Recipe
I would like to present to you the unofficial Vegan & Gluten-Free Krispie Kreme Donut Holes Copycat Recipe. Love it, because, my lovelies, it's for real and it's that good.
- Donut Holes
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 packages, about 4½ teaspoons total active dry yeast
- 4½ cups gluten-free flour blend, I used Bob's Redmill All Purpose
- 1 cup aquafaba, yus, bean juice
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 8 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup heavy corn syrup
- Start the day before you want to have these awesome donuts.
- Stir the water and yeast together in a medium bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in a cup of the flour (ish) until it's smooth.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel, then leave in a warm place for 45 minutes to rise or until it gets bubbly (which is hard to see through the towel, but check on it at like the 30 minute mark, then again every 5-ish minutes or so).
- Combine the coconut oil and sugar in your stand mixer until thoroughly combined.
- Place the aquafaba in the coconut oil and sugar mixture and mix well.
- Add in the vanilla and salt. Mix well, too. Heh.
- Now, you're going to want to swap your whisk for the paddle on your stand mixer.
- Add the yeast mixture to the sugar mixture along with the rest of the flour, while your stand mixer is running. Allow to run until the flour is fully mixed in and the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Place the dough in a large greased bowl covering with plastic wrap and a towel again.
- Let it rise in a warm place for approximately 1 hour (you can do 2, but there's not going to be much difference, honestly).
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place in a zippered baggie, forcing all the air out before closing.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Break off pieces of the dough, rolling them into 1/2-inch thick balls.
- Cover with a damp paper towel and allow the donut holes to rest for 30-45 mins.
- Heat the frying oil to a point where a tiny bit of dough placed in the center of the pan causes it to bubble and fry nicely..
- Carefully fry the doughnut holes on each side for 90 seconds.
- Place in a bowl over a paper towel to drain until all of the donut holes are cooked.
- Make the glaze by putting all the ingredients together in a small bowl and whisking together until the mixture is smooth.
- Dip each donut hole in the glaze and place on a wire rack to allow the glaze to harden.
- Be careful as you stuff them in your face, because you might stuff too many and then you have to do a trip to the hospital...it's just a thing.
- Get the recipe that inspired it all at: DinnerThenDessert!
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 570 Total Fat: 42g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 33g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 145mg Carbohydrates: 47g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 27g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g
Are you in? Gonna make you some awesome Vegan & Gluten-Free Krispie Kreme Donut Holes? Lemme know how they turned-out. I need to hear from you…I need to know if you love them as much as I did…Heh.