(Inside: This is insane. I am in love with this Mexican Cornbread Skillet. How did I not know that this existed?! It’s magic in a pan and my mom just told me how to make it and…HOW DID SHE NOT MAKE THIS MY WHOLE LIFE?! She is evil.)
Don’t you just love a parent that hides recipes from you your whole life?
Yeah, me too.
Particularly when they’re deliciously brilliant recipes.
Like Mexican Cornbread Skillet.
Yeah. Not only particularly tasty, but also ridiculously easy to make.
Gotta love a parent who hid that recipe from you.
She’s defended her actions with a “well, I’d forgotten it, “and “how was I to know you were going to lovei t so much?!”
But we all know she was intentionally keeping all the Mexican Cornbread Skillet for herself all this time.
She was probably making batch after batch, then hiding it to eat after I went to bed–you know, when I was like five.
Yeah, you probably don’t think that’s the truth, but I’m the only one that knows that woman.
Eeeevil mom. Heh.
Oh, and before you go, gimme a little pin love for this Mexican Cornbread Skillet.
You know you’re going to want the recipe in a couple days when you have the ingredients and a hunger comes over you.
Mexican Cornbread Skillet
This is insane. I am in love with this Mexican Cornbread Skillet. How did I not know that this existed?! It's magic in a pan and my mom just told me how to make it and...HOW DID SHE NOT MAKE THIS MY WHOLE LIFE?! She is evil.
- 2 pounds ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 tbspn homemade taco seasoning
- 2 cans, 16oz tomato sauce
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 package corn muffin mix
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- !/4 cup of minced cilantro
- In a large skillet add your ground beef.
- Cook on medium-high heat.
- Once the meat is cooked drain the fat using a strainer.
- Add in the homemade taco seasoning, tomato sauce and beans.
- Stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl add your corn bread mix and follow directions as stated on the box.
- DO NOT BAKE
- Drop ice cream scoops of batter over meat mixture.
- Cook with a lid and over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and top with cheddar cheese, then replace lid.
- Cook on low heat until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and cilantro