This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SilkSipToSpoon #CollectiveBias
The Gluten-Free & Vegan Red Velvet Mug Cake is fairly simple (I made it this evening for a little personal-size dessert after the kids went to bed). When the ingredients get mixed together and microwaved for about 3 minutes, an awesome little cake happens in your mug! Eep! And for an icing (because even a healthy cake needs icing), I mixed some fresh fruit with Silk yogurt–so yummy it makes my mouth water.
Let’s be clear here. This is a small cake with a heaping lot of fruit and yogurt on top. So, it’s ridiculously good, but kind of awesome in that there’s not so much there that’ll fill you up and make you feel all over-full. Portion control, my friends. I made it with Silk Almond Milk, so it’s dairy free AND lactose free, which is gentle on the tummy–and there’s 50% more calcium than dairy milk, and absolutely no cholesterol and no saturated fat; which is EVEN BETTER.
My little helper and I got everything we needed for this yummy snack-sized dessert at Walmart, even the dairy free yogurt, which used to be hard to find…but now that Walmart has it…SWEET! However, I only shared the strawberries with her. At her bequest. There was actually an argument about this. She didn’t want the yogurt. Just the strawberries. Spoiled. That’s all I have to say about that. LOL!
So, yeah, after hitting the store for supplies, feeding my little monster some strawberries and just generally having a “day”, I felt like I deserved a little indulgence, so I busted-out this Gluten-Free & Vegan Red Velvet Mug Cake recipe, in the hopes that it would satisfy my sweet tooth without breaking my promise to myself to eat a little healthier.
I think I did alright. I mean, it’s about half cake and half fruit, so, not as much cake as an entire slice (or whole cake) would have been…and it only took 5 minutes, so I was really happy…you know what, I don’t have to justify this. I enjoyed it. I deserved it. So. There. (heh)
Gluten-Free & Vegan Red Velvet Mug Cake
The Gluten-Free & Vegan Red Velvet Mug Cake is fairly simple (I made it this evening for a little personal-size dessert after the kids went to bed).
- Mug Cake
- ¼ cup gluten-free, dairy-free flour (like Bob's Redmill all-purpose)
- 1 tblspn honey
- 1 tspn baking soda
- pinch salt
- 2 tblspn Silk Almond Unsweetened Vanilla Milk
- 1 tblspn coconut oil, melted
- 1 tblspn plain apple sauce
- 5 drops red food coloring
- 1/8 cup dairy-free chocolate chips, optional
- 1 cup Silk Dairy Free Yogurt
- 1 cup mixed fruit, chopped (I used blackberries, blueberries and strawberries)
- In your chosen mug, combine all dry ingredients.
- Stir until mixed thoroughly.
- Add wet ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Fold chocolate chips into the mixture, if desired.
- Place in the microwave for 3-4 minutes.
- Allow to cool while you make your "icing".
- To make the icing, mix the yogurt and fruit together.
- When the icing is ready, put it over the cake and devour like the mad crazy person you are. Or eat it sedately and nicely...since the kids are in bed, you can be kind of leisurely...LOL!
Yup. Only 5 minutes until this wonderfulness could be in your mouth. So, don’t justify it. Just eat it. LOL!
I’d really love to hear how your Gluten-Free & Vegan Red Velvet Mug Cake turns out. Everything you hoped? Or a flat-on-its-face-didn’t-satisfy-so-I-made-another-or-3? LOL!
Leave me a comment. And be sure to check out Silk’s Sip to Spoon inspiration page for more yummy ideas!