So, I worked in a Chinese restaurant for like 3 years–and eating the leftovers from the buffet totally didn’t break me from wanting another big heaping bowl of fried rice. I think it only made my addiction to the soy-saucey-goodness stronger. It’s like I was destined to one day make my own fast One Pan Chicken Fried Rice and post it on a blog somewhere–wait?! What? No, IT’S A DREAM FULFILLED! LOL! Just kidding. I was in high school. I could barely even dream of the idea of even making my own fried rice one day, much less coming up with a recipe on my own. But I did and here it is, lovelies!
I’m seriously bent about this recipe. I make it for myself for lunch and then tuck the leftovers away and have it again with the family for dinner. It’s ridiculously versatile and you can pretty much throw whatever on top of it, if you want, or just eat it like it is (which is what I do–DO NOT JUDGE ME, I CAN’T FIND THE DUCK SAUCE!). But really, I can pull this together in less than a half-hour, including all the time I spend trying to keep the toddler out of the kitchen and entertain the baby (as well as cooking the rice). So, yeah, this is an awesome recipe for moms that just, frankly, don’t have time to mess with recipes that take forever.
Biting into this while its hot is so much better than the buffet, too, because I did not have to stand there serving other people for hours before I could get my plate–oh, wait, yeah, I, uh, just remembered I kinda did that with the toddler and baby today while I made it…soooo…maybe I’m still working at the restaurant…or maybe that was just practice for being a mom…heh.
One Pan Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- 1 can of chicken breast
- 1 can mushrooms, chopped
- ½ cup broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup carrots, julienne sliced
- ½ cup soy sauce (if you want this to be gluten-free, be sure to use gluten-free soy AND teriyaki)
- ⅛ cup teriyaki sauce (if you want this to be gluten-free, be sure to use gluten-free soy AND teriyaki)
- 2 tblspn minced garlic
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tblspn sesame oil
- 6 cups steamed rice
- Place wok or large pan over high heat.
- Put sesame oil in the pan and while it's getting hot, open chicken and drain water off.
- As soon as the sesame oil is hot, add the chicken and break it up using a spoon.
- Add mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, onion and garlic, then stir until everything is lightly covered in the oil.
- Add rice.
- Immediately pour soy and teriyaki over the rice and stir until everything is combined--but do not over-stir.
- You can turn the heat down just a little, but you want to keep it high and stir sparingly.
- Remove after about 5-7 minutes and serve. It's up to you to find those cute little boxes, though, so you can fake your kids out and make them think you got take-out...LOL!
Let me know if you love this recipe (just suck it up if you hate it, though, because, frankly I’m going to eat it anyway) by dropping me a line in the comments. I love to hear from you!