When my husband says “let’s go for a romantic picnic”–I know what he really means. I know what he’s secretly getting at. Sneaky snake. He’s wanting me to pull-out one of his very favorite recipes and grab a to-go order of breadsticks from his favorite pizza joint–just to get me in the woods by the lake and pretend we’re dating again. Lucky for me I have such a sweet guy on my hands. And, lucky for you, I’m willing to share this secret to a fantastically yummy lasagna without the heat of your oven. Three words: Mason Jar Lasagna. Straight-up packed with homestyle goodness for a portable and delicious dinner option my whole family loves…especially now that our “romantic picnic” is really a “family-dinner picnic” anymore…
Last week, when my husband reminded me to pick up some Ragu Homestyle Thick and Hearty Mushroom Sauce while we were at Target, well, I knew we were going to be embarking on our little family tradition of Mason Jar Lasagna and a box of breadsticks. My kids love it.
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ¼ cup green pepper, chopped
- ½ cup onion
- ½ cup of sliced white mushrooms
- 6 lasagna noodles
- Ragu Homestyle Thick and Hearty Mushroom Sauce
- 3 ounces of cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Brown and Drain the ground beef, as it is cooking break the beef into small pieces
- As the beef is nearly done add in chopped onions, green peppers, and mushrooms, saute them together for about 6 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine water, milk, cream cheese and shredded cheese, over low heat melt the cheeses until they are creamy and smooth, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, transfer to a small bowl.
- Warm your Ragu Pasta Sauce over medium heat for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Break Lasagna Noodles into 4 pieces, cook as directed on package.
- Then you begin to assemble your lasagna in a mason jar. Alternating Ragu Pasta Sauce, beef, noodle, cheese, sauce, meat, cheese sauce, and so on.