There was an accident in my kitchen one afternoon. I wasn’t paying attention and I sliced an avocado into my fixin’s for a small-batch of deviled eggs. As I grabbed my forehead and cursed myself for my idiocy, my husband walked behind me and said, “That looks yummy.” Now, this is odd because 1) he is allergic to eggs and they do not look yummy to him AND 2) there was a bowl of my husband’s favorite bean salad right next to the bowl into which the accident happened. Now, in that moment, I knew I had to make Guacamole Deviled Eggs–although, looking back, I’m pretty sure he was talking about the bean salad. Heh.
It’s nice accidents like this that happen in my kitchen often. For instance, a little bacon ended-up on top of the guacamole deviled eggs the last time I made them…and now I’m addicted. I didn’t know that guac tasted so good with bacon. How magical is that combo? I had no idea…But now I do…and now, there will be some additional recipes with avocado and bacon, my friends. I can guarantee you that. LOL!
And, I guess I could have just stopped at avocado and gone on with these eggs…but I couldn’t help myself. There’s more to avocados than just avocados. The flavor would be sublimated to the mustard and I just didn’t want that. No, if I’m going to do something–I’m going to do it right (thanks, dad, for teaching me that). Heh.
Recipe for Guacamole Deviled Eggs
In that moment, I knew I had to make Guacamole Deviled Eggs--although, looking back, I'm pretty sure he was talking about the bean salad. Heh.
- 6 boiled eggs, cooled
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 small tomato
- 1/2 small onion
- 1/8 cup crushed, cooked bacon
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 1 tspn lemon or lime juice
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- Peel eggs and slice in half.
- Empty yolks into a medium mixing bowl. Set aside egg whites.
- Chop tomato, cilantro and onion. Set aside.
- Slice avocado and add to the egg yolks.
- Add lemon juice and salt to the egg yolks and avocado.
- Mix and mash yolks and avocado together into a chunky paste.
- Add the tomato, cilantro and onion to the yolk/avocado mixture and stir until combined--but don't mash.
- Spoon a whopping amount into each egg white cavity.
- Sprinkle with pieces of the cooked bacon.
- Serve to your well-deserving guacamole-deviled-egg-devorers. Heh.
So, what d’ya think? Brave enough to try the guacamole deviled eggs? I can’t wait to make them again. They’re REALLY good. Leave me a note to let me know what you think!