So, I’m a nut. I know this, you know this, and even my mom knows this. But, sometimes, nuts have brilliant ideas. And this is my brilliant idea of the week. My lovelies, I have put together the best baby shower gift of all time. Or a gift for a one year old (why do people buy them toys instead of diapers?!) or even a two year old (because it’s not like they know what the heck a birthday is or what they’re getting?!). My lovelies, this is How to Make a Unicorn Diaper Cake. The tutorial you’ve waited your whole life for. LOL!
What You Need to Make a Unicorn Diaper Cake
- 2 boxes Huggies diapers (I picked-up size 3 and 4 from Kroger while I was grocery shopping, because that’s what my kids wear, but you can use any size)
- 300 sheets (ok that’s an exaggeration–more like 200) white tissue paper
- 1 sheet black tissue paper
- 1 sheet pink tissue paper
- 2 rolls clear tape
- 1 pretty ribbon, optional
- 1 pretty rose, optional
Be sure to use Huggies diapers so that the recipient of your gift (you know, that new mom…who’s going to need those diapers at 3am one morning) gets triple layer protection to help stop leaks AND up to 12 hour protection. You know, just get her the best. Because Huggies Snug & Dry Diapers absorb quickly to help stop leaks and offer up to 12 hours of long-lasting leakage protection to help keep baby dry throughout all his daily adventures (and nightly adventures, too–heh).
How to Make a Unicorn Diaper Cake
For those of you who enjoy running with scissors, here’s a ridiculously fast video of me making this diaper cake. All told, it was about 20 minutes. But I got skillz, so you know. LOL!
For those of you who, like me, need a few words of
instruction encouragement, here’s the directions:
- Cover one Huggies diaper box in white tissue paper.
- Open the second box of Huggies diapers.
- Make 8 stacks of 3-4 diapers.
- Tape tissue paper around one stack vertically, sitting on one stack horizontally.
- Repeat with all 8 stacks of diapers.
- Attach to the sides of the tissue-paper-covered diaper box with the horizontal stack laying on the floor–all pointing in the same direction.
- Tape a cap of black tissue paper to the end of each of the horizontal stacks. You now have legs. There ya go.
- Tape a stack of 3-4 diapers on each of the top corners of the box, then cover in white tissue paper. You now have shoulders and a rump.
- Make 8-12 stacks of 3-4 diapers and, using rubber bands, put them together in alternating line (one up and one down), then wrap in white tissue paper. (please note, my video recorder cut out for this section, so you get no video of making the tail–sorry).
- Tape one end of the tail to the “rump” of the unicorn (the rump will be the direction in which the feet do not point).
- Place a stack of 6-8 Huggies diapers on the top center of the unicorn’s shoulders and cover in white tissue paper.
- Form a ball of white tissue paper and keep forming, building and shaping to form a head (watch the video for this part).
- Tape to small round pieces of black tissue paper to the unicorn’s face for eyes.
- Make a wad of white tissue paper shaped like a cup, wrap in another piece of tissue paper, them form it to look like an ear. Do this again.
- Tape the ears to the top of the head.
- Using white tissue paper, form a mane.
- Roll your pink tissue paper into a cone, cut to size, and tape to the head of your unicorn.
- Tie your ribbon around it’s neck.
- En-Freakin’-Joy that unicorn diaper cake! LOL!
So, what do you think? Leave me a comment and let me know how your unicorn diaper cake works out at your next baby shower! And, remember: Shop at Kroger during the “Baby Me” Event going on between 3/20/16 – 4/2/16 and spend $40 on participating baby items so you can receive a $10 off coupon good towards anything at Kroger. (while supplies last)