Finding Your Own Light in a World Full of Darkness. I thought of this line when I felt depressed sometime in my life. I sat outside that evening and tried to relax to think over.
As we look around on social media and in the news, we realize the world is full of a lot of darkness. This darkness can consume me at times.
Sometimes, the darkness around me causes me to delve deep into depression and anxiety. But, in a world full of darkness, it is important that we find our own light.
If you are struggling to find your own light in a world full of darkness, here’s what you can do!
Turn off the Screens
You don’t have to know what is going on in the world every second. Take a weekend to destress and turn off all the screens.
Don’t worry about what is going on in the world. Don’t watch the negativity and the darkness. Instead, read a book, color, or spend time in nature.
Do Something that Makes You Happy
Sometimes, you just need to have fun, laugh, and live a little. Go enjoy a movie, take a road trip, or head out into the wilderness.
When the world is full of darkness, it can cause you to lose your light and feel depressed. So, instead of wallowing in the darkness, do something that makes you happy.
- Go to a movie
- Get a massage
- Take a walk
- Eat cake
- Enjoy time alone
Science has proven that volunteering has numerous health benefits both emotionally and physically. If you want to find a light in the darkness, nothing will help you shine more than volunteering.
Here’s how it can help….
- It decreases your risk of depression. This is because volunteering makes you feel good no matter how little it is. In fact, it releases dopamine in the brain much like what you would receive after a good workout.
- It gives you purpose. Volunteering gives you a sense of purpose and helps others see a light when their own life is full of darkness.
- Keeps you mentally and physically active. Studies have proven that volunteering actually increases brain function.
- It reduces stress levels. When dopamine is released in the body, it decreases cortisone which causes stress.
Not only does spreading positivity help you find your own light in a world full of darkness, but it helps others. Here are some ways you can spread positivity in your day:
- Send someone a card.
- Write your spouse a love note.
- Post encouraging sticky notes around the house.
- Make a habit of making a stranger feel good.
- Buy someone a coffee at McDonald’s
- Let others know how important they are to you.
- Tell people who are bagging your groceries how great a job they are doing.
- Give others a reason to feel good.
When it comes to finding your own light in the darkness, science has proven that the more you help others feel good, the more you feel good yourself.
What ways do you find your own light in a world full of darkness? Share your stories in the comments below!
You can Pin this into your Pinterest board so you can comeback anytime you want to read this again and to share to others too.
You might like to read these as well.