Looking for a quick and easy breakfast option? These ham, egg, and cheese breakfast burritos are the perfect solution! Made with just a few simple ingredients, they come together in minutes and are sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. The best part? You can customize them to your liking, so everyone can enjoy their own personal breakfast burrito.
Are Breakfast Burritos a Texas Thing?
Well, yes…breakfast burritos are a Texas thing. Rumor has it that the birthplace of breakfast burritos is in Austin, Texas. Breakfast burritos are considered a Tex-Mex food, where the Mexican culture is mixed with Anglo-Germanic ingredients that can be found in Texas.
What do You Fill a Breakfast Burrito with?
Here are the basic ingredients you’ll need to make these delicious and easy-to-make ham, egg, and cheese breakfast burritos:
- Cubed Ham (small cubes)
- Fresh Eggs
- Grated Cheese (cheddar and Monterey jack)
- Salsa Verde (or red salsa, if you prefer)
- Flour Tortillas (these wraps are not filling, but you’ll need them, anyway)
How do You Make a Ham, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Burrito?
Here are the basic steps to put together a ham, egg, and cheese breakfast burrito. This is not the actual breakfast burrito recipe, but if you’d like to go directly there, just scroll down to the bottom of this post.
- Chop the ham into small cubes.
- Break whole eggs into a mixing bowl (substitute egg whites, if you prefer).
- Grate the cheese.
- Beat the eggs.
- Add the ham, cheese, and salsa to the eggs.
- Pour into a preheated skillet over medium heat.
- Stir frequently until the eggs are firm.
- Place some of the egg mixture on the center of a flour tortilla.
- Fold in the ends, then one side, and pull up the remaining side.
- Garnish with additional grated cheddar cheese and salsa.
- Serve and enjoy!
Optional Ideas for Filling Your Breakfast Burritos
Here are a few optional ideas for filling your breakfast burritos:
- Chopped Green Peppers
- Chopped Red Bell Peppers
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Chopped Onions (fresh or grilled)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mushrooms (fresh or grilled)
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Garlic Pepper
Breakfast Burrito Toppings or Garnishments
Here are a few toppings or garnishments that may add that little something to the delicious breakfast burritos that you have created:
- Sour Cream
- Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Grated Monterey Jack Cheese
- Hot Sauce
- Chopped Onions
- Grilled Onions
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Grilled Mushrooms
- Pico de Gallo
- Salsa Verde
What is the Best Way to Reheat a Breakfast Burrito?
The best way to reheat a breakfast burrito is in the oven or in a toaster oven. Regardless of which one you use, follow these instructions:
- Preheat your oven to 250°F, or your toaster oven to 350°F.
- Remove any plastic wrap from your burritos.
- Wrap each burrito in aluminum foil.
- Place the burritos on a baking pan.
- Place in preheated oven or toaster, and bake for approximately 15 minutes (or until warmed through).
What is the Difference Between a Taco and a Burrito?
The most basic difference between a taco and a burrito is the size of the tortilla, or shell. Tacos are usually smaller, and can be consumed as a snack or light meal. Tacos are usually served with a soft or crunchy corn tortilla. A burrito is usually made of a larger flour tortilla. It all comes down to a matter of personal taste and interpretation. Some restaurants call their concoction a breakfast taco, and it is wrapped in a flour tortilla. Call it whatever you like, but a burrito by any other name is still a burrito!
How do You Make Breakfast Burritos not Soggy?
If you are making your breakfast burritos for to serve immediately, they should not be soggy. If you have made them ahead of time, the problem may be that you added the filling when it was still hot. The trick is to let the filling cool to room temperature before rolling the burritos.
- Use a large spoon and put a couple spoonfuls of the room temperature filling in the tortilla.
- Fold the ends of the tortilla toward the middle, then roll them up fromone side to the other.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Place your delicious burritos in the fridge.
How Long will Breakfast Burritos Keep in the Fridge?
Breakfast burritos will keep in the fridge for about 3 or 4 days, assuming that the ingredients are fresh when you make the breakfast burritos. If you want to freeze them, they should keep for about 3 months. Be sure to wrap them in plastic, and then place them in an airtight container such as a zipper bag or bowl.
Can I Eat Breakfast Burritos Every Day?
Yes, you can eat breakfast burritos every day! If I were going to do that, I would change up the ingredients and the garnish now and then, so I wouldn’t get bored with them! Of course, there are endless possibilities of combinations you can make. Just give it a try, I’m sure you’ll like Easy Ham, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Burritos along with all the other variations you can think of!
- 4 Eggs
- 1-1/2 cups Cubed Ham
- 1/4 cup Salsa Verde
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese (Cheddar and/or Monterrey Jack)
- Cut ham into small cubes.
- Shred cheddar and/or Monterrey Jack cheese.
- Break eggs into a large mixing bowl and whip until well mixed.
- Add cubed ham to eggs and stir.
- Add grated cheese and stir to incorporate.
- Add salsa verde and stir.
- Pour the mixture into a preheated skillet over medium heat.
- Stir until eggs are well done.
- Place a couple of spoonfuls of the egg mixture in the center of a fresh flour tortilla.
- Fold in the ends, the roll from one side to the other.
- Garnish with additional salsa and grated cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 500mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 14g