(Inside: Yeah, I had a box of very nice new crayons–and then I didn’t (because I have two little kids). Now, I have some Easy DIY Mermaid Crayons that are so pretty–and a lot thicker so there’s less breakage and more funtimes.)
I am not going to tell you how many boxes of crayons I have been through lately.
It’s rather embarassing.
So many that the girls won’t use because they’re broken and geeze! we can’t use broken crayons, can we?!
Of course not.
So, we repurposed some of our broken crayons into these Easy DIY Mermaid Crayons.
The girls are in love.
Plus, so happy about this, the Easy DIY Mermaid Crayons are thicker than traditional crayons and therefore are less prone to the whole breaking thing–which is what started this mess.
We’re loving it.
Easy DIY Mermaid Crayons
What You Need to Make Easy DIY Mermaid Crayons
- Crayola crayons
- Oven safe mermaid silicone mold
- Extra fine glitter
- Cookie sheet
- Hot pad
2 PACK Crayola 64 Ct Crayons (52-0064)Original Stationery Arts and Crafts Glitter Shake Jars, Extra Fine, 24 Multi color SetBAKHUK 3Pack Seashell Mold Mermaid Tail Mold Silicone Fondant Mold Chocolate Mold Soap Mold for Decorating Cakes, Chocolate, Candy, etc.Good Cook Set Of 3 Non-Stick Cookie SheetDII Cotton Terry Pot Holders, 7×7
How to Make Your DIY Mermaid Crayons
- Peel the crayon wrapper off and preheat your oven to 250 degrees.
- Sprinkle a little glitter into your molds.
- Break the crayons in several pieces and place into the mermaid tails a few of the same colored crayons at a time so it will have an ombré look.
- Place your silicone molds onto a baking sheet and place in a preheated 250° oven for 8 to 10 minutes, checking halfway through to see if they’ve fully melted.
- Carefully remove the pan with a heating pad, place on the stove until cool and then transfer to the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Carefully stretch out the sides of the mold and pop your crayons out.
Watch this video…
Yeah, no really. That’s all you do to make your Easy DIY Mermaid Crayons.
And they’re SO CUTE.
Can you imagine those made from discarded crayons as gifts for the kids to give each other for Valentine or Christmas?! They’d so like that more than candy.
Ok. Now it’s on you.
You have to pin these Easy DIY Mermaid Crayons, that way you have the reminder and recipe and everything you need when you’re ready…
And if you’re really digging some mermaid action, try making a DIY Mermaid Tail for your kiddo!