As parents, our number one job is to keep our kids safe, and that used to be relatively easy. Teach them not to talk to strangers, teach them that no means no, and teach them not to do drugs. Basic right? But what happens when strangers are adding them as “friends” on Facebook? What happens when the dangers are sitting right on their tablet? Well, friends, that’s when you need these 6 hacks to keep kids safe online.
6 Hacks to Keep Kids Safe Online
- Family Charging Station – At the end of the night, everyone plugs their devices into a central family location to charge overnight!
- No Lock Codes – No devices can have a “lock code” to open the device or any apps downloaded to the device. If an app requires a lock code, there will be one “family code” that everyone knows and uses.
- “Hand it Over” Policy – A parent can request a device at any time and it will be handed over immediately without closing any apps or deleting anything.
- Agreeing on All Apps – Before download, parents and kids both need to agree that an app is age appropriate and allowed.
- Set “Off” Times – Have a set time (or times) that all devices will be turned off for family time, school, or bed time.
- Get the Rules in Writing! – Use The Smart Talk Agreement to set a contract up between you and your children so that the whole family knows the expectations!
The National PTA and LifeLock created The Smart Talk—a free, online tool—to help families set ground rules for technology use and have open, ongoing conversations about online safety and responsibility. The Smart Talk is one of my favorite hacks to keep kids safe because it engages kids and parents in an interactive experience, leading them through a guided conversation about online safety and privacy; screen time; apps and downloads; texting and calling; and social media and respect. The tool creates a printable contract to hold the parent and child accountable. Plus, you can re-visit The Smart Talk every so often to keep the conversation going as your kids get older and technology changes. (Remember when MySpace was a thing? I do!)
I know it can be tempting to try to shelter your kids completely from the internet to help them avoid the creeps and the danger, but times are changing! We need to help our kids learn how to navigate the internet safely and responsibly, and these hacks for keeping kids safe online do just that! So you can check out The Smart Talk and get a contract started with your kiddos today!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.