It’s raining, it’s pouring…..but we aren’t snoring!! We are going to get OUTSIDE and play in the rain. This is one nerdy mamma who isn’t a stick in the mud, LOL. I came up with a fun list of outside toddler activities for rainy days that will keep us busy and having a ball.
Outside Toddler Activities for Rainy Days
- Splashing in the water is always fun on a rainy day. I know my toddlers love to splash and at bath time I am always having to say NO SPLASHING. A rainy day allows me to be a fun, YES mom and say…go ahead and splash all you want.
- Building a dam is fun for kids of any age, but it will really amaze toddlers to see the water building up behind the dam. We love to gather sticks and leaves and build a dam along the curb by our house. This is kind of like a mini science experiment too.
- Dancing in the rain isn’t just for song lyrics. There is something about singing and dancing in the rain with kids that will make anyone feel like a kid again. We love to sing some of our favorite rainy day songs while we dance.
- Making mud pies is one of the best ways to take advantage of a rainy day. The mud on a rainy day is perfect for pie making and what toddler isn’t going to love getting their hands dirty? Get crazy and bring out some measuring cups, pie pans and bake up a storm.
- Going on a nature walk in the rain always opens up my toddlers eyes to new sights. We usually see bugs and worms that aren’t always out on dry days. Birds may be singing and if we are lucky there will be a snail along our route.
- Boat races are fun if the water along the curb is really moving fast. We will bring out our little plastic boats and have races to see whose will go the fastest. If we have time we might even make a boat out of leaves and sticks and see how it floats.
- Try out a homemade rain gauge with your toddlers. I may bring out a simple measuring cup to catch the rain or we will use a real rain gauge. I can explain how the gauge works and we will check back each hour and see how much rain we are getting. It is educational and fun.
- We like to get artsy in the rain too. Some days we will paint with mud on the driveway. Who knew that a pail of mud and a paintbrush could be so fun? We have also tried painting on the driveway with our Crayola paints and watching the rain rinse our creations away.
- Getting out our bubble machine is a fun rainy day activity. I like to sit it on the porch (covered) and have it blow bubbles into the yard. My toddlers love to see how fast the rain can pop the bubbles.
- Be an animal in the rain….we may pretend to be ducks, birds, geese or even swans. We will make the sounds and march in lines. Toddlers love to pretend play.
Are these outside activities for toddlers on rainy days fun or what? It almost makes me WANT rain to head our way. It almost goes without saying….but I am going to say it anyway. Don’t play outside when it is lightning…okay!! 🙂 That is when indoor activities can be done!
What are some of your favorite outside activities for toddlers on rainy days? Do you get a lot of rain in your area? Be sure to PIN this post so you can refer to it when you have a rainy day and need some fresh ideas.