Just because Thanksgiving is over doesn’t mean that we can’t still have cranberry. Cranberries are still very much in season throughout the holidays. This is a simple breakfast dish I like to make for my family around the holidays. Most people don’t know that oranges in Texas in the winter are some of the best we see all season. Soon the blood oranges will be hitting the shelves and I tell you I cannot wait for that. This Cranberry Orange French Toast literally takes just minutes to put together.
The cranberry orange french toast can be set in the fridge to soak or you can bake it right away. I like to let it soak about an hour if my french bread is too crispy or over baked. Softer french bread you can use and bake right away. The toppings can also easily be changed to strawberries and bananas and even fresh berries.
We like to top our french toast with powdered sugar and syrup. Peanut butter and butter is another great way to brighten the flavors. If you’re having brunch with friends this is a fantastic dish to make. It’s also great for potlucks. You can bake it in advance and put it into a warmer like this baking dish with a bamboo hot pad.
HOW TO VIDEO
- 1 cup milk
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup cranberries
- 1/2 orange; sliced
- 7 slices of french bread
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Syrup for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and milk together until well blended.
- In a baking dish add sliced french bread. Pour egg mixture over the bread soaking it well.
- Top with cranberries and oranges. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 F.
- Remove from oven and top with powdered sugar. Syrup for extra topping.