We’re headed to a HUGE destination in the next couple of weeks–the first road trip of the year. But I’m ready. No, really. I’m R-E-A-D-Y. Because I used to regularly take short little 5-hour road trips with my oldest and my toddler (well, before she was a toddler). But I know. These, my lovelies, are the 5 Essentials for a Road Trip with a Toddler (to keep it from becoming a nightmare).
5 Essentials for a Road Trip with a Toddler (to keep it from becoming a nightmare)
- Games Galore. First and foremost is our Android tablet or phone (either will work–as long as the toddler has it) and this awesome Amazon Underground app with its free games and plethora of movies. This was the smartest app I ever downloaded. You can download the Amazon Underground app from your Android smartphone HERE, or if you’re reading this on a laptop, just Go HERE and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Munchies A-Plenty. No, really–a lot of them. There’s nothing like a toddler that wants the red apple sauce but all you brought was the purple apple sauce. No, really. So, I bring chips, and fruit, and drinks, and jerky, and crackers and juice, and pretty much anything else I can think of. Because, frankly, if I don’t bring it with–we’ll be stopping at every convenience store on the way to get it, anyway.
- Old School Fun. One time, I didn’t bring a coloring book. That will never happen again. We spent a half hour trying to find a store that had the coloring book of awesome that she wanted. See, they have to not only have pages to color, but little activities and some stickers. So what if my car is covered in stickers when we get home from our road trip?! At least I didn’t have to go hunt one down with a toddler crying in the backseat because I didn’t give her any stickers.
- Wardrobe Malfunction. And, have YOU ever been stuck in traffic on a 14-lane highway and realized that your precious bundle of cute and cuddly has just smeared poopies all over herself, carseat and car window? And, so, I bring not just one change of clothes, but several. Because, really, when you need a new shirt for a toddler–you NEED a new shirt.
- Sound Control. And here’s where we need help sometimes keeping mommy sane. We bring a set of headphones for the kids each and maybe one for mommy or daddy–whoever is in the passenger seat. Becauase although it’s not safe for the driver to wear headphones, at least the persons NOT driving don’t have to listen to–anything else. Heh.
Let’s get honest here, Moms of apps- and game- users are fed up with buying every little thing every five minutes. Seriously–those tiny transactions were killing my bank account. and then my kid had to wait? Those “other” App and Play Store’s weren’t cutting it. With 100% free apps and games on Amazon Underground, the kids can watch their favorite movies and TV shows from Amazon Video and get all the apps they want–with zero stress. It’s pretty much my favorite road trip take-along.
So, do you have anything you might add to my list of 5 Essentials for a Road Trip with a Toddler (to keep it from becoming a nightmare)? Toss me off a comment below or find me over on Facebook. I’d love to hear all about the awesomeness you’ve learned on your road trips!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.