I decided to go a little cinnamon-crazy this last weekend. Not like in a “swallow it dry” thing or anything–because that apparently can make you gag and it’s all gross and stuff. No, I went a little cinnamon-crazy in that I tried to add it to everything. There was a dash in that, a pinch in this…and a whopping 2 tablespoons in this recipe for Vegan & Gluten-Free Cinnamon Donuts with Chocolate Glaze. Now, before you cringe, it was really, really good. And with a hot cup of coffee? My husband asked me to make them again next weekend–that’s how awesome they were.
Ok, so if you’re not a fan of cinnamon, this is probably not the recipe for you. In all honesty, it is seriously a lot of cinnamon. But, I was experimenting and ended-up enjoying them (so much so that I ate quite a few of them before I could snap photos, so you’re not seeing the full batch…sorry–actually, not sorry). So, for someone like me that loves cinnamon, this is a great recipe where I can get all the yummy goodness, without choking on a mouthful of it. Heh.
And, if I’d been smart, I would have made some quick apple cider to go with them. But, alas, I was not one for thinking on my feet this weekend–too many things going on. But the donuts were great with coffee, so I’ll just try the cider later and lament nothing now. LOL!
Vegan & Gluten-Free Cinnamon Donuts with Chocolate Glaze
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 3 tblspn aquafaba (bean juice of any variety)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2½ cups gluten-free flour
- ½ tspn salt
- 2¼ tblspn baking soda
- ½ cup coconut milk (like what you’d use in cereal)
- ¼ cup coconut cream (out of the can, but just the cream part you get when you refrigerate the can and it separates...just the cream, not the water)
- 1 tblspn ground cinnamon (I like mine real cinnamon-ey, so you can cut this back if you don't)
- 4 cups oil for frying
- Chocolate Glaze
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 tblspn corn syrup
- ¼ cup coconut cream (out of the can--come on)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- To make the donuts, mix wet ingredients thoroughly in a medium-sized bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients in ½ cup increments and blend until smooth.
- Break off pieces of the dough, rolling them into ½-inch thick rolls, then folding them over on themselves and smooshing the ends together.
- Cover with a damp paper towel while you get the oil ready.
- Heat the frying oil to a point where a tiny bit of dough placed in the center of the pan causes it to bubble and fry nicely..
- Carefully fry the doughnuts on each side for 90 seconds.
- Place in a bowl over a paper towel to drain until all of the donuts are cooked.
- Make the glaze by putting all the ingredients together in a small bowl and whisking together until the mixture is smooth.
- Dip each donut in the glaze on one side and place on a wire rack to allow the glaze to harden.
- Enjoy both eating these awesome donuts and licking the glaze off your fingers--that was actually my favorite part. Heh.
I HAVE to know how your Vegan & Gluten-Free Cinnamon Donuts turn out! Leave me a comment below or find me on Facebook. I’m dying to know if you love them as much as I did!