One of my very favorite meals on a cold winter weekend is beef stew. So simple to make, but so rich and flavorful. And I just get giddy over the idea of having a super-heated bowl of stew with a big, thick chunk of Vegan Cornbread. Its like the perfect foil for that veggie menagerie. I just love it. I love it so much, in fact, that I actually get excited when it gets cold…it’s kind of embarrassing how much I really love this meal…I blame it on my mom for handing down such an awesome set of recipes–and making the awesome food for me when I was a kid…it’s all her fault. Heh.
The best part of making stew and cornbread recently, though has been the fact that all three of my kids absolutely adore it, too. I mean, I can’t get my 8 month old to eat peas any other time, but you put a few peas down on her tray with a little cornbread, some carrots, corn and potato chunks–she’ll just go to town. My toddler loves stew and cornbread so much that she has to have a bath afterward EVERY TIME. And my teen thinks I don’t know, but he gets up in the night and sneaks a bowl and a slice after everyone else is asleep. I really think it’s awesome that I’m passing on this slightly silly, but fun winter tradition. My husband doesn’t get into it as much, but it’s cool. I make it anyway. LOL!
When I cut-out dairy and eggs, adjusting this recipe really didn’t take me long at all, and I’ve made it a million times since. I love the texture (it’s very fluffy and perfectly crumbly), and the flavor is perfect. With some dairy-free fake-butter, it’s like a slice of warm heaven. I could make a meal out of just the cornbread itself, but that would be a waste of a perfect excuse to pair it with stew, so I don’t do that…most of the time. Heh.
- 2 cup cornmeal
- 2 cup flour
- 4 to 6 tblspn sugar (optional--I do not put this in mine)
- 8 tspn baking powder
- 1 tspn salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 tspn vinegar
- Place oil in your cast iron pan (or just your regular cornbread baking dish) and put it in the oven while the oven preheats to 425 degrees.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add water and vinegar to the mixture and blend well.
- When the oven has preheated fully, carefully remove the oil from the oven and pour it into the cornbread mixture.
- GENTLY mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour mixture into the baking dish and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before devouring like the crazed cornbread-zombie you are...LOL!
Let me know what you think of the recipe by leaving me a comment below. And, if you really love it, be sure to pin it for later…