I’m dying for breakfast and dessert to be combined into one delicious meal that I can basically snack on all day every day…Oh, wait, that’s why I made a big batch of Vegan Chocolate Toffee Donuts. Of course, I totally made a batch that I REFUSED to share with anyone (I hid it in the back of the fridge, so I can snack all day tomorrow, too). I’m not being a cruel mom. Am I?
Sometimes, a mom just wants a little something for herself, you know. Like yesterday, I was eating at a taco joint and my daughters both demolished my plate. DEMOLISHED. It’s like I didn’t even get a taco. Well, I was wearing quite a bit of taco, but not a lot made it in my belly. How I haven’t lost weight…whatever. I just wanted something of my very own to enjoy. So I’m mean. Or not. Maybe I’m entitled to this? Eh, regardless of whether I’m being a cruel mom or not, what it comes down to is I AM NOT SHARING. Except with you, of course, my lovelies. You can make as many as you want–and hoard them, too. Like a dragon, you can curl around them and even sit on them (well, they’re pretty dense, but they will flatten if you actually do this–so don’t…trust me, just pretend to sit on them). Just eat them. That’s really the best thing to do with them. And I won’t complain if you share them…
Vegan Chocolate Toffee Donuts
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 3 cups flour
- ½ tspn salt
- 2¼ tblspn baking soda
- 1 cup coconut milk (like what you’d use in cereal)
- ½ cup coconut cream (out of the can, but just the cream part you get when you refrigerate the can and it separates...just the cream, not the water)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ tspn vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Grease donut tin. Set aside.
- Grease a small baking pan. Set aside.
- To make the toffee, dump everything together in a small pot over medium heat and bring to a slow boil.
- Stir for ever. And EVER.
- Stir for about 20 minutes.
- Pour contents into the small, greased baking pan and set aside.
- To make the donuts, mix wet ingredients thoroughly in a medium-sized bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients in ½ cup increments and blend until smooth.
- Break-up the toffee (it should be hardened by now).
- Sprinkle about ¾ of the toffee into the batter and fold it in.
- Fill donut tin about ¾ full. If you're trying to be cute like me, you'll pat-in the remaining few pieces of toffee on top of all the donuts, too, so you can really see them poking out when it's cooked...so CUTE! (not sure why I think that's cute...)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (It’ll only be like 15-20 minutes for a mini-donut pan like mine.)
- Allow to cool for approximately 10 minutes in tin.
- Spray with cooking spray (mine’s coconut oil, so there!) and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Place in a box and pretend you just drove to the donut store…heh.