There’s just something awesome about mid-week munchies for me and my girls. I mean, I like making treats for my husband and son, don’t get me wrong, but there’s something special about making a little snack that’s just for us. My toddler seems to know that it’s special and she gives me the sweetest hugs. I don’t know…it just makes me want to make more. So I do. Heh. This week I made Vegan Chocolate Toffee Cupcakes with Toffee Icing. I think I’m a little obsessed with toffee lately…or maybe it’s those sweet hugs.
But, let’s be clear. It’s not as if I didn’t share those awesome yummy treats with my hubster and the boy. No, they had some when they got home later in the day. But those first 3 (ok those first 4) were for just us girls. The icing was all over all three of us (you try eating clean with a toddler and an infant) and the chocolate…well, we had to have a shower afterward…I even found some in the baby’s ear. So, yeah, these Vegan Chocolate Toffee Cupcakes with Toffee Icing were a hit. And I shared. Win-win-win. Right? Heh.
Vegan Chocolate Toffee Cupcakes with Toffee Icing
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 3 cups flour
- ½ tspn salt
- 2¼ tblspn baking soda
- 1 cup coconut milk (like what you’d use in cereal)
- ½ cup coconut cream (out of the can, but just the cream part you get when you refrigerate the can and it separates...just the cream, not the water)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup vegan butter substitute
- ½ tspn vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 2 cup coconut cream (like what you did above)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Pinch salt
- ½ tspn vanilla extract
- Dairy-free chocolate shavings, chips and doodads (optional, but it makes it soooo much better) - I made these by accident during a cooking experiment and have been trying to find ways to use it--this was the best idea!)
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Grease muffin tin or line with cupcake cups--but I recommend greasing those, too, because they stick and that sucks. Set aside.
- Grease a small baking pan. Set aside.
- To make the toffee, dump everything together in a small pot over medium heat and bring to a slow boil.
- Stir for ever. And EVER.
- Stir for about 20 minutes.
- Pour contents into the small, greased baking pan and set aside.
- To make the cupcakes, mix wet ingredients thoroughly in a medium-sized bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients in ½ cup increments and blend until smooth.
- Break-up the toffee (it should be hardened by now).
- Sprinkle about ¾ of the toffee into the batter and fold it in.
- Fill cupcake tins about ¾ full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for approximately 10 minutes in tin.
- While that's cooling, make your icing by dumping the ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl with the remaining ¼ of the toffee and whip it--whip it good. Until it forms soft peaks.
- The toffee should have broken-up and melted, making everything a soft, buttery brown. Well, that's what happened with mine--I guess it depends on how dark you let your toffee get.
- Pipe onto your cooled cupcakes and drop your chocolate shavings on top. EEP! You're ready to eat. So just eat it-eat it-eat it. I'm so sorry.
If you end-up making these, let me know what you think. I’d love to know if the toffee icing was toffee enough for you or if you wanted more toffee-ness (I was kind of on the fence). Heh.