Alright, my lovelies, something is wrong with my brain (again). I’ve fallen in love and I can’t help myself. Or perhaps the problem is that I’ve helped myself to too much goodness in this Vegan Caramel Popcorn. Seriously, I think this might be the best thing I’ve ever made. Ok, hands-down, this is the best thing I’ve ever made. I mean, I used to wait until the holidays to get my caramel popcorn fix in those giant tin buckets…no more, my lovelies, no more. I now have my own vegan version to stuff my face with…and it’s so much better.
Seriously, if you only make one thing from this blog, this Vegan Caramel Popcorn is the thing to make. I have already made two batches because the first batch was eaten so fast (thank you, my dear husband, for saying “nah, I don’t want any” then eating the WHOLE THING except for the small handful I had). And the second batch, well, I hoarded it and got it to last about 24 hours, but now it’s gone and I’m thinking about making another. And I JUST made this over the weekend. And it’s Thursday. THURSDAY. This is ridiculous. LOL!
Vegan Caramel Popcorn
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1½ tspn vanilla
- ¾ tspn salt
- ½ cup coconut cream (so, chill a can of coconut milk overnight, then scoop the thick stuff out--drain the water away)
- ½ tspn baking soda
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees--or whatever the lowest setting on your oven is.
- Make your caramel by placing the sugar, salt and vanilla in a pot over high heat.
- Stir, stir, stir until the sugar mixture gets lumpy and brown-ish throughout.
- Add the coconut cream and keep stirring.
- Stir for a long, long time until all the lumps dissolve and the caramel is all soft and smooooth.
- Turn off the stove.
- Add baking soda and stir until it's mixed throughout.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large, large mixing bowl, pour caramel over popcorn and stir until it's all coated.
- Pour popcorn into a (or maybe 2) 9x13 baking pans in as thin a layer as you can manage.
- Place the popcorn in the oven for an hour and stir at 15-minute intervals.
- When the caramel popcorn is done it will be stuck together but not sticky. You'll be breaking it apart rather than stirring, if that makes sense.
- Be prepared to be wow-ed. This is, perhaps the best thing I think I've ever made. I hope you enjoy. I'm headed to the kitchen to make more. Heh.
Alright, go get your Vegan Caramel Popcorn going. It’s totally worth it. Then, when you have sticky fingers from eating it before you could even get it in the oven, come back and hit me up with a comment to tell me how much you love it! LOL!