(Inside: EEEEEvilly delicious Spicy Shrimp Tacos have so much love to give, specifically to my belly.)
Don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot to be said about a simple shrimp taco recipe. But SPICY Shrimp Tacos?
Be still my heart.
The secret is the chipotle.
You gotta just get jiggy with it and get a little chipotle into your life.
It makes the smooth shrimpy-ness really stand out.
And all that other stuff?
Well, it’s good, too.
But trust me on that chipotle. It’s the best part of the whole meal.
And not so spicy that people that don’t really like spices (like me) aren’t willing to just down a few bites…
My husband likes the little bit of cool “salad” I put on the bottom. (of course he also doesn’t realize that the “salad” is basically a modified pico-de-gallo recipe I slapped together with some leftover corn and feta one time…)
He thinks that the shrimp and the spiciness is the perfect foil for that pseudo-slaw with it’s touch of feta and sprinkle of corn.
But my tastebuds disagree. I mean, I’d be more than willing to just dump all the other stuff and have a bite of just the shrimp.
Don’t tell him this, but, sometimes, when he’s out of town on business, I make the shrimp by themselves and don’t even make the slaw.
Just the shrimp in a tortilla.
For some reason, I feel guilty about doing this. Maybe it’s the decadence of making a meal just for myself?
Or maybe it’s the decadence of making a meal for myself that he reallllllly likes?
Just don’t tell him.
He’ll never leave town again and I’ll never be able to sneak a taco sans slaw.
Please. Don’t. Tell. Him.
And, be sure to pin this, so that the next time you have a night alone, you can have a little guilty-pleasure dinner just for yourself–that is if you’re not making it right this second (because it’s pretty divine, so I would if I were you).
Old El Paso Original Taco Seasoning Mix, 1 ozTacoProper Taco Holder FiestaPak, Set of 12, Made in ChinaWomens Fitness Taco Funny Gym T Shirt Humorous Mexican Food Tee For Ladies (Dark Grey) – LKidsFunwares TriceraTACO Taco Holder – The Ultimate Prehistoric Taco Stand for Jurassic Taco Tuesdays and Dinosaur Parties – Holds 2 Tacos – The Perfect Gift for Kids and Kidults that Love DinosaursTaco Takeover Board Game
Spicy Shrimp Tacos
- 1 tblspn butter
- 1 clove fresh minced garlic
- ½ tspn onion powder
- 1 tspn chipotle pepper (ground)
- ½ lb fresh raw shrimp, peeled
- ½ head of cabbage
- 1 whole lime
- 1 tblspn fresh cilantro
- 1 large tomato
- 1 small onion
- 1 small red jalapeno
- 2 tblspn sweet corn kernels (I used canned corn)
- 2 tblspn feta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10-12 corn tortillas (I find layering them helps keep them from shredding while I try to chow down)
- Chop cabbage in thin, short slices.
- Chop cilantro, tomato, onion and jalapeno in very small (1/4") cubes.
- Mix cilantro, cabbage, corn, jalapeno, onion, tomato and ½ of the feta together in a medium bowl with juice from half of the lime. Set aside.
- In a pan, over high heat, melt the butter.
- Immediately add the shrimp and sprinkle the salt and pepper, minced garlic, onion powder, and chipotle powder over the shrimp.
- Stir shrimp continuously until the shrimp turns pink and and is cooked all the way through.
- Just before removing from heat, squeeze remaining half of lime over the shrimp.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave until, well, warm.
- Using two tortillas together, place 2-3 tablespoons (or more) of the slaw into the center of the tortillas.
- Place 3-4 shrimp on top of the slaw and sprinkle feta over the top.
- Repeat until all the shrimp and slaw is gone.
- Eat until you feel quite satisfied that your husband will not find the evidence when he gets home. Heh.