Look, I’m freakin’ hungry. So, let’s get down to business, shall we? I am in a Mexican Street Food mood. No, really. Like I pulled-up at an actual street food vendor the other day and had this AWESOME burrito and now I’m preoccupied with the idea of making my own street food at home. Conveniently, I have this rockin’ recipe for Shredded Chicken Street Tacos that I’ve just been sitting on and sitting on. And so, I decided to try it. Oh, my, oh, my. It was perfection. And now I’m hungry again.
Yeah, I hear ya. No reason to make Shredded Chicken Street Tacos at home when you have a food truck that will whip some amazing ones up just down the street. Right? Except that I was about an hour from home when I found my magic-burrito food truck and, frankly, I’d rather whip-up my own than drive an hour each way just for a yummy burrito. No matter how yummy it was. Heh.
And, besides, if I’m in the car for more than about 5 minutes with my husband, he starts asking if we’re there yet or if there’s another way that we could go that would be faster (as if I drive some more lengthy way, just to annoy him), and is basically worse than traveling with a toddler. So, that’s out. I’ll be making my tacos at home, thank you.
While I’m at it, I might make some Steak Street Tacos or just plain ‘ole Mexican Street Tacos. Whatever. I just want it all this week and nothing will stop me. Ok. My husband might (OH THE WHINING) if he decides that having Shredded Chicken Street Tacos 5 meals in a row is just too much. But we’ll see when we get there, neh? LOL!
Be sure to pin this, y’all, so you can find it later!
Shredded Chicken Street Tacos
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded lettuce (but not much)
- Diced avocado (if desired)
- Lime wedges
- Diced onion
- 2-3 sprigs Cilantro
- Jalapenos (if desired, which I do not)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium white onion
- 1½ tspn paprika
- 1½ tspn cumin
- 1 1/2 tspn chipotle
- 1/2 tspn cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash chicken thighs and slice into tenders and place in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne, and chipotle.
- Mix spices with olive oil, onions and garlic.
- Pour spice/oil mixture over the chicken tenders and mix together thoroughly,
- Spread on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Place chicken in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until completely cooked.
- Remove chicken from oven, and place in a large bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, shred chicken (this actually works).
- Warm tortillas in a hot skillet for a few seconds on each side, until they kind of bubble up and are hot.
- Fill each tortilla (FYI--I like to layer my tortillas 2-3, because then they don't fall apart) with chicken, a small amount of lettuce, onions, avocado, jalapenos, and a squeeze of lime.