This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
I’m kind of in love with this new project I pulled together for Easter this year. Not only did I make some awesome M&M’s® Sugar Cookie Cake in a Jar, but I also did a little magic and came up with a way to Upcycle a Diaper Box into an Easter Basket. My reading on the Easter cool-o-meter just doubled, my friends, (although I’m a little concerned that double zero is still zero…hmmm…)
So, I’m in love with the cookie cake AND the basket. Is that ok? Am I cheating on one to love the other. Probably not, since they’re a package deal. Heh. Anyway, I think this is the PERFECT basket for a centerpiece or an office-party (I’ll be using it for a centerpiece). It’s large, since it’s a diaper box, but not overly so, so it’ll work for pretty much any purpose. And, the best part? It’s filled with the world’s favorite candies (well, the Easter-ey version of them), M&M’s® Pastel M&M’s® Pastel Peanut, and MARS Spring Minis Mix. See? In love.
I was able to snag everything I needed (that I didn’t already have at home) at Sam’s Club one afternoon on the way to my mom’s house for Sunday supper. Conveniently, the M&M’s® Pastel M&M’s® Pastel Peanut, and MARS Spring Minis Mix display was right next to the ribbons…and not far from the diapers…so I was able to get it all in one fell swoop. All except for the scrapbook paper and decoupage glue, which I have a healthy stock of at home, anyway, so I didn’t even look. LOL!
M&M’s® Sugar Cookie Cake in a Jar Recipe
- ½ cup Butter, room temperature
- ½ cup Light Brown Sugar
- ½ cup White Sugar
- ½ tspn clear vanilla extract
- ¼ tspn water
- 3 tblspn aquafaba (or egg, but that's on you--I went with bean juice)
- 1 cup & 2 tblspn flour
- ½ tspn salt
- ¾ cup M&M's® Pastel
- ½ tspn Baking Soda
- 1 cup Shredded Coconut
- ¼ cup M&M's® Pastel Peanut
- 2 cans White Frosting (you pick the flavor)
- Pink Food Coloring
- Blue Food Coloring
- Purple Food Coloring (or be brave like I was and mix the pink and blue on the fly)
- Orange Food Coloring
- Yellow Food Coloring
- Green Food Coloring
- 3 Canning Jars
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Blend butter and sugars together.
- Beat in vanilla, water and aquafaba (or egg).
- In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients for the cookies, except for the M&M's® Pastel.
- Add this second set of ingredients to the first in ⅓ increments.
- Mix until all ingredients are combined thoroughly.
- Gently stir-in the M&M's® Pastel.
- Form small balls and place on a lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until just before cookies brown.
- Remove cookies from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- While the cookies are cooling, equally separate the frosting into 6 different bowls.
- Add one to two drops of each food color to a bowl of frosting.
- Mix each frosting thoroughly until the food coloring is consistent throughout. Set aside.
- Separate the coconut into 3 baggies.
- Add one to two drops of pink, blue and purple food coloring to a baggie.
- Shake until the coconut is colored consistently.
- Place a layer of one color of frosting in the bottom of a jar, add a cookie.
- Keep layering each color frosting and a cookie until you fill the jar.
- Place another layer of frosting on top, then one color of the coconut, then top with some M&M's® Pastel Peanut, for fun.
How to Upcycle a Diaper Box into an Easter Basket
I’m sure you can tell what to do on your own, but really quickly, here’s the gist of things:
- Cut the flaps off one end.
- Cut the box about halfway down the side at each corner and fold the new “flaps” outward.
- Hot glue the original flaps to the corners, forcing it open like a bowl.
- Trim the corners so the edge is round like a bowl (see what we’re doing here?).
- Decoupage some pretty Easter-ey scrapbook paper all over, inside and out.
- Let that dry.
- Cut 2 strips of cardboard about 2-inches wide and about 1 foot long.
- Hot glue one end of each of those strips to the basket.
- Then hot glue their ends together to form a handle.
- Hot glue some ribbon over that handle.
- Fill with awesomeness.
So, what do you think? Will you be embarking on a little DIY fun to make your own Easter basket from a box? Hit me up with a picture of how your’s turns out! And don’t forget to make your M&M’s® Sugar Cookie Cake in a Jar with M&M’s® Pastel M&M’s® Pastel Peanut, and MARS Spring Minis Mix. Makes that Easter basket so much fun.