(Inside: This is a “hidden secret” of yummy from Mexico. Migas Tacos, otherwise known as Authentic Mexican Breakfast Tacos, are the BEST way to start the day.)
I feel like this is some kind of “hidden secret” of yummy that Mexico has been hiding, well, forever. Migas Tacos, otherwise known as Authentic Mexican Breakfast Tacos, are the BEST way to start the day.
And, they were, probably, the most likely culprit for “first taco ever” in my opinion (although I have not done the research, so please don’t quote me on that).
Because, look! Migas is MADE for a tortilla.
How much more perfect does it get than that?!
I won’t lie to you.
The first time I had Migas Tacos, it was a really weird situation.
See, at my super-professional, before I was a blogger, and I worked in the super-corporate environment, my boss (and most of his bosses) preferred to meet over meals, particularly breakfast, with employees.
And so, although I’d NEVER eaten with a boss-person, nor had I EVER frequented breakfast places, I found myself in a local breakfast joint with relative regularity.
Every time I went, my boss ordered these Authentic Mexican Breakfast Tacos that the greasy spoon made.
Curiosity eventually snagged my kitty-cat-like-self.
I distinctly recall falling madly and immediately in love with the Migas Tacos and dissecting them in my mind for creating a recipe that would do these Authentic Mexican Breakfast Tacos justice in my own kitchen.
It’s taken me years to become comfortable with exactly what I have created here.
But, friends, this is so much like the yumminess that was served at the breakfast joint, I dare you to pin it (because there’s no way you’re cooking now, are you?!) and keep it around for that morning when you’re craving a tango of awesome on your tongue.
Old El Paso Original Taco Seasoning Mix, 1 ozTacoProper Taco Holder FiestaPak, Set of 12, Made in ChinaWomens Fitness Taco Funny Gym T Shirt Humorous Mexican Food Tee For Ladies (Dark Grey) – LKidsFunwares TriceraTACO Taco Holder – The Ultimate Prehistoric Taco Stand for Jurassic Taco Tuesdays and Dinosaur Parties – Holds 2 Tacos – The Perfect Gift for Kids and Kidults that Love DinosaursTaco Takeover Board Game
Migas Tacos or Authentic Mexican Breakfast Tacos
- 3 large eggs
- 1 small onion
- 1 small bell pepper (red or green, whatever)
- 1 smal avocado
- ⅓ bundle cilantro
- 1 small tomato (I ran out of regular tomatoes and used cherry tomatoes, so sue me--not really though)
- 4 tblspn shredded cheese (I use dairy-free Diaya cheese, because we're a dairy-free home)
- 1 small jalapeno (optional)
- ½ tspn chili powder
- ½ tspn garlic powder
- 2 tblspn olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 flour tortillas
- Scramble those eggs like you normally would. But I throw off the olive oil into the pan and once it's hot, crack the eggs and whip 'em up, then drop 'em in the hot oil.
- Once the eggs are in the pan, I toss the seasoning off on top, then get to chopping.
- I chop the onion first, then throw it in the pan with the eggs while they're still going.
- Then the bell pepper, tomato, avocado, cilantro, and jalapeno (although I try to get "non-spicy" jalapenos when I can).
- Once the eggs are cooked (I prefer them a little browned all over--called "scrambled hard" at the breakfast joint), I pull them off the heat and, standing by the stove, I assemble these tacos.
- First I put in the egg, then my veggies and, lastly, I top with cheese, while everything is hot.
- Serve those puppies immediately, because They. Are. So. Good.
Wanna pin it with it’s authentic name? Go on, friend. I got ya.