Now that the holidays are over, I’ll have to try to get back into my regular daily routine. (BAH HUMBUG!) My preference would be to have a holiday every week, but alas, that’s not an option for the working class! To help me get back into the swing of a 8-5 job, and all the other stuff that goes with life, I’ve been pulling out the old recipe box. I rediscovered this great recipe for Lemon Chicken with Garlic and Orange. This is one of those recipes that is SO easy, you’ll want to make it every day. Not to mention that your family (and/or guests) will swear you spent hours in the kitchen getting this dish ready for their enjoyment. When, in reality, it is just your slow cooker that will spend hours in the kitchen.
Now, before you get all weirded-out on me, you have to give this recipe a try…I know, you’re saying “lemon, garlic and ORANGE?” But, it really is a combo that just jumps right up at you and turns your chicken into a masterpiece of epic proportions. Its the citric acid and the subtle bite of the garlic. They just do something to me. And the leftovers for lunch the next day…so good, my husband asks me to make an extra breast for him just so he can warm it up on day-two. So, yeah, when I spotted this amazing goodness in my recipe box…I was actually kind of glad winter was here and I could warm that slow cooker up!
Lemon Chicken with Garlic and Orange
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 6-8 Chicken Thighs, boneless, skinless
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Water
- 3 T Lemon Juice, fresh
- 1 tsp minced Garlic
- 1 Chicken Bouillon cube
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 medium to large Orange
- Wash the Chicken Thighs and set on a paper towel to drain.
- Place the Olive Oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat.
- In a shallow, medium-sized bowl, mix together the Oregano, Basil, Parsley, Salt and Pepper.
- Rub each chicken thigh with the seasoning mix and brown in the olive oil (3-5 minutes each side), turning once.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the skillet as each is browned, and place them in the slow cooker.
- Reduce the heat under the skillet and carefully add the Water, Garlic, and Lemon Juice. Bring to a boil and add the Chicken Bouillon cube, stirring to dissolve.
- Pour the lemon juice, water, and chicken bouillon mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on High for 3 hours or Low for 6 hours.
- When you are within 30 minutes of serving, slice the orange into 6 or 8 slices (one orange slice for each chicken thigh).
- Place the orange slices in the slow cooker, on top of the chicken thighs.
- Prepare Pasta of your choice (my favorite is Angel Hair or Fettuccine) or Rice Pilaf according to package directions.
- When cooking time is complete, remove orange slices, then arrange chicken breasts on serving dish and place one orange slice on top of each chicken thigh.
If you love this recipe, drop me a line in the comments…would love to hear how it turns out for you…And don’t forget to try my recipe for Mamma’s Famous Roasted Chicken. Simple and mind-blowingly good, you’ll be back for seconds on that one, too…