(Inside: OMG. Honorary gold medal to this amazing Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup. It’s warm and sweet and the ridiculously perfect foil for any fish–grilled or taco’d or anything. So good. I’m drooling. Again.)
So, I made a mistake. Not like a big thing–I just, well, I accidentally ordered the wrong potatoes on my grocery order (yes, I often have my groceries delivered–I have 2 toddlers, it saves my sanity).
I ordered sweet potatoes. But I wanted yellows…for a big pot of loaded potato soup.
Improvisation occurred and suddenly, I was in the Olympics of cookery.
The Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup I came up with was truly gold-medal worthy. Heh.
In all seriousness, I wasn’t just 100% sure how this Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup was going to turn out.
Having never made it’s like before, I was a little worried it would be too sweet, or not sweet enough, or even kind of just–odd.
But, like the first time I had sweet potato fries, these crazy orange taters really surprised me.
Smooth and with this amazing buttery flavor, even though there’s not a drop of butter in it, I’d say this soup is now one of my very favorites.
You see, I am a big fan of the soup.
Not EVERY soup–but a lot of them, have graced my table, particularly for lunch.
And I usually don’t even think of what I might pair with the soup–because it’s just lunch and a piece of bread and a nice warm soup works for me.
KOVOT Set of 4 Speckled Ceramic Soup Bowls With Spoons – 22-Ounces Each[Updated] Soup Spoons, AmoVee Wholesale Stainless Steel Alpha Round Spoons, Set of 8Fred SALT+MAGIC Wand Salt and Pepper ShakersSweese 1131 Porcelain Fluted Latte Bowl Set – 28 Ounce Stable and Deep – Microwavable Bowls for Cereal, Soup – Set of 6, Cool Assorted ColorsStar Wars Salt and Pepper Shakers – R2D2 and R2Q5 – Add a little Star Wars to every Meal
But this Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup was so dang good, I had to find a way to not just warm it up the next day for another lunch, but serve it up to the hubster with dinner.
Enter the fish.
I totally grilled Halibut I had in the freezer just so I could serve this awesome soup to my husband.
I. Am. A. Nut.
On that note: OMG! PIN MY Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE!!! (because that’s what a nut would say to remind you to pin this because you’re going to want it later LOL!).
Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and SterilizerGenuine Instant Pot Tempered Glass lid, Clear – 9 in. (23 cm) – 6 QuartGenuine Instant Pot Sealing Ring Clear, 5 or 6 QuartInstant Pot Accu SV800 Sous Vide Immersion Circulator (120V, 800W)
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup
- 8 large sweet potatoes (do they even make small ones?!), peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup baby carrots, chopped
- ½ tblspn cinnamon
- ½ tblspn salt
- 2 tblspn olive oil
- 4-6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup minced onion
- 2 tblspn minced garlic
- 3 pinches nutmeg (optional)
- Place potatoes and carrots in the pressure cooker.
- Cover potatoes with vegetable broth.
- On manual setting or soup setting, cook potatoes, carrots and broth for 12 minutes.
- While that is cooking, in a pan over high heat, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil.
- When the Insta Pot is done, immediately let off the steam.
- Mash about ¾ of the potatoes and carrots with a hand mixer (smoother texture) or fork (lumpier).
- If you would like thinner soup, this is the time to add the extra vegetable broth.
- Add onions and garlic, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to the potato/carrot mixture.
- Stir until completely combined.
- (for garnish, I like to throw in some crumbled ciabatta and green onion, but my husband prefers a sprinkle of sugar--you feel free to make your own garnish)