This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
#SwimAdventureContest #CB #CollectiveBias
This summer is going to be sooooo much fun. I mean, I’m already planning play dates and little wading-pool-parties. My porch is perfect for little-girl BBQ tea parties and I’m already thinking about how to get a bounce house out in the yard for my toddler’s 3rd birthday. So, to kick things off (because the weather is starting to turn here already! yippee!), I figured-out How to Make an Easy Mermaid Tail.
Yeah, you heard me right. An EASY Mermaid Tail. Like I had 2 made in about 30 minutes. And they’re removable, washable, easy-on and easy-off. Plus, the girls thought they were hysterical (who doesn’t like a costume IN THE POOL?!) and I got to take a lot of fun pictures of the first splish-splash in a pool for my littlest. So tickled that I had the idea when I picked-up those Huggies® Little Swimmers® at Sam’s Club last week…
What You Need to Make an Easy Mermaid Tail
First, head over to Sam’s Club and get some Huggies® Little Swimmers® (keep reading to learn more about the cool contest they’re putting on). That’s always first on my summer-shopping list anyway, because they’re they keep the accidental “oops” from ending our pool-fun, they fit great, and I don’t have to spend an arm-and-a-leg to get plenty–so we can go into the pool plenty. And the best part about them? I can toss them when we’re done without having to worry about washing them out (which is what I would have to do if we went with JUST a swimsuit…inevitably).
Next, you’ll need about a half yard of cloth (depending on how tall your toddler is), some of that awesome sequins-on-elastic for straps, 2 velcro dots (one fuzzy and one sticky), a little foam for the tail and a sewing machine (and some thread, but you probably already figured that part out).
How to Make an Easy Mermaid Tail
Oh, my lovelies that love a good running-with-scissors, here’s your photo tutorial…
And for those of you who can’t decipher that, here’s a written tutorial (you know, for us sane folks).
- Measure the width and length of cloth you’re going to need (approximately) by holding the cloth up to the toddler’s back. You want enough cloth to go around their chest (snugly) and enough to go from the top of their back to their ankles, plus an additional amount of about 12-inches to make the tail’s pocket. Cut that out.
- Doodle on the piece of foam whatever shape you want your tail. I just used a permanent marker because no one’s going to see it. Then cut that out.
- Stitch the sequins-on-elastic to the general location where the cover-up will close, over the chest. Stitch one 8-inch length to each side.
- Stitch the other end of each length of the sequins-on-elastic to the back of the cover-up, crossing the pieces so they create an X.
- To make the pocket for the tail, fold the bottom of the fabric over and stitch about halfway up each side. I decided to do this inside-out so that the stitches wouldn’t show. But you can do whatever.
- Run a basting stitch (the longest stitch allowed on your sewing machine) around the inside of the pocket you just made, far enough up the length of the pocket that the tail of your tail will be caught below this stitch line. Be sure to leave a long tail on each end of the basting stitch.
- Turn your pocket right side out and stuff your foam tail inside.
- Gently pull your basting stitch and create a ruffle. ALTERNATIVELY, you can skip the whole basting thing and just tie a little ribbon around the tail. I did this on the second one because my basting stitching broke when I was pulling it and you couldn’t even tell the ribbon was there.
- Stitch the velcro pieces to the closure point on the top of the tail, where your sequins-on-elastic come together at the front.
- Slip that puppy on a baby (or toddler–I did both) over their swimsuit and Huggies® Little Swimmers® (that fit so nicely both on her bottom AND in my budget!), and let that little baby mermaid swim freeeeee!
Basically, this is what it should look like when you’re done.
And THIS is what it’ll look like when it’s ON. LOL!
Huggies® Little Swimmers® #SwimAdventureContest
Alright, so Huggies® Little Swimmers® is running this awesome contest. Just snap a cute picture of your favorite, fun summer moment and then share with the hashtag #SwimAdventureContest OR upload that picture directly via SamsClub.com/SwimAdventureContest. By doing this, you’re entering for a chance to win one of 5 $1,000 Sam’s Club Giftcards. Yeah, that’s right. Five chances to win $1,000. Awesome–just like I said.
So, what do you think? Should I make a little mermaid crown to go with our mermaid tails? Maybe do a whole mermaid party? Lemme know! Just drop me a comment below or hit me up on Facebook. I’d love to hear from you. And don’t forget to go pick up your Huggies® Little Swimmers® and enter the #SwimAdventureContest! You could totally win $1,000!