It’s not that I feel obligated to make special treats for Valentines. It’s just that there’s these parties that they have at school…they make me nervous about not having yummy things that my son will be proud of. You know? I just want him to be proud that I brought something yummy and maybe even pretty. But, no, I kinda DO feel obligated–because there’s these freakin’ PARTIES. It’s like they never end. Well, no, the parties end…ANYWAY. I tried out a new recipe for Gluten-Free & Vegan Pink Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies. They’re pink, yummy and oh, so decadently chocolatey. Perfect for the party. And my tummy. Heh.
Its not that the school like REQUIRES moms to bring cookies, cakes or pies. But I just feel kind of like a jerk when I show-up with a veggie tray or store-bought cookies. I don’t know why. It’s perfectly fine and respectable for snacks–and that’s all the kids need. But, seriously, I have this overwhelming need to make the kid smile. WHY?! He’s 13–he smiles for so little. Why do I work so hard?! But I do and maybe I’ll hit a home run with this one. We’ll see…
Gluten-Free Vegan Pink Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2¼ cup gluten-free, dairy-free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Flour)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tspn vanilla
- 1 tspn baking soda
- ½ tspn salt
- ¾ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup plain or strawberry apple sauce (I used strawberry--it was great, added a slight hint of strawberry, which was awesome)
- 5 drops pink food coloring
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- ½ cup powdered sugar (for sprinkling on top, so it's optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all wet ingredients.
- In a second mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients except chocolate chips.
- Add dry ingredients to wet in ⅓ increments.
- Mix well.
- Fold chocolate chips into the mixture.
- Roll ½-inch diameter balls and place 2-inches apart on the cookie sheet. Mash them down for flatter cookies, leave them balled-up for thicker-center, chewier cookies.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if you so desire extra sugar on your sugar-circles. Heh.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, removing them JUST BEFORE they start to brown on the edges.
- Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before shoving them into your valentine's face like a crazed-love-monkey. Heh.
Do you need more cookie recipes like this? Is this the end-all-be-all to your heart’s desire? Leave me a comment…let me know. I’d love to hear from you. LOL!