There is a trend in my house. And I’m on the fence whether I like it or not. See, our weekends are too busy. Waaaay too busy. So much so that I have like NO time to do even some of the simplest things–like make lunch. I find myself rushing to go from one thing to another and then, before I’ve even had breakfast, it’s time for lunch. And I’m STARVING. So, I’ve started really digging quick meals that take like NO time to make. And my favorite? Five-Minute Frito Chili Pie. Love. This. Recipe. (Like marry it and make little frito-chili-babies kind of love here.)
The secret to this recipe is really not a secret at all. It’s something like an “everybody knows this” secret…but I have a little twist. See, when you make Frito Chili Pie, you want to thin the chili a little more than if you’d eat it just straight. But I don’t thin it with water, like other chefs…no, I toss-off a half-can of diced tomatoes. This adds a little POP you just won’t get otherwise. And then, top with a little salsa? Be. Still. My. Heart.
Little side note: Although I’ve heard this called Chili Pie, we always called it Frito Pie. So, I’m compromising with the title here and calling it Frito Chili Pie. Either way, it’s amazing. Eat it–it only takes 5 minutes to make and ALL the kids will squeal.
Five-Minute Frito Chili Pie
- 1 can Chili, 40 oz. - unless you made your own chili...which is SO. MUCH. YUMMIER.
- ½ cup canned Diced Tomatoes (about half a can)
- 2 cups Fritos (regular style)
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
- ¼ cup Onion, finely chopped
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the Chili and diced tomatoes, stir to combine and set aside.
- Put the Fritos in a large microwave-safe mixing bowl or casserole dish.
- Pour the Chili and water mixture over the Fritos.
- Cover and place in microwave. Cook on high power for 1-1/2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the grated Cheddar Cheese on top.
- Garnish with chopped Onion.
- Return to microwave and cook for an additional minute, or until chili is hot and cheese is melted.
So, what do you think? Gonna try it? Yeah, I know you are…hit me up with a comment on Facebook to let me know how yours turns-out!